Crashed GT Photo's - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2006, 1:22 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy Crashed GT Photo's

Went to see the bike today, first view since the crash. Not good. Xenon headlight unit, cruise control unit, radiator, left fork (hossack), fairing, nose unit, bar end, lever,pannier etc etc. Trying to do the photo thing now, but have to upload to the internet first. What a pain.

Before crash

Headlight unit

The unit with the orange sticker is the cruise control. Also, scratches on fork leg.

Radiator, and is that damage to the frame mounting?

Pannier

Slightly polished fork leg

Front wheel

Fairing

A bit of damage to the nose piece. The lever and bar weight are also scratched.

The outside of the nose piece (and hole in light lens.Sealed unit, so you have to replace the whole thing. Dealer techie reckons about 700 UK Pounds for the light unit!!!!)

So, any guesses as to the final cost? I reckon if the frame is damaged they will write it off, if not, about 5,000 UK.

I will keep you posted.

Brian

Last edited by pipenslippers; May 20th, 2006 at 1:55 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2006, 3:09 pm

Hope you are okay.

The bike can be fixed. I hope that you were not hurt?

Retroboy
2007 k1200 GT-Dark Graphite
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2006, 3:36 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroboy
The bike can be fixed. I hope that you were not hurt?
Thanks for the concern. No, not too badly. I think we will be ok before the bike is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2006, 7:20 am
Enthusiast

If it were me and if I had any say in the matter I would try to have the bike totaled. I would ride this bike thinking something is wrong (like is the frame really o.k.) and sooner or later it would finally get the best of me and then I would sell it. This of course is just me and not to mention I am superstitious, this bike has bad karma, it must go. Not to mention it is a brand spanking new bike - getting it fix just does not work for me. Just my opinion, you may not feel the same as I do and you may be o.k. with your dealer fixing it. I have never found a dealer who really is qualified when it comes to crashed bikes, unless they are basically replacing everything. For me a car is one thing if not 100% o.k. it more than likely won't put you in harms way. These motorcycles are high performance machines and you do not need to find out that something was overlooked.
Good luck
Bruce
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2006, 8:04 am
Enthusiast

re: Crashed GT Photo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev
If it were me and if I had any say in the matter I would try to have the bike totaled.
Bruce
In my opinion, most of the damage appears to be replacable and I would estimate about 5K in damages.
I'm no expert, but have crashed and from what I see, mostly cosmetic damage. Impact does not appear to have been forceful enough to effect frame.
Shop should be able to replace damage parts and get you back on road in a couple of weeks (estimate 3, mostly waiting on parts).
Glad to hear that rider & passenger not seriously injured but know from experience that any time you go down it takes at least a few weeks to feel close to 100% normal again. (I'm speaking from personal experience with my own 20-25mph crash, driver turned into me making an illegal left turn.)
Best of luck and safe riding in the future.

03K12RS
:wtf Joel Callan :wtf
Milwaukee, WI 53222

Homepage
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2006, 9:13 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev
If it were me and if I had any say in the matter I would try to have the bike totaled. I would ride this bike thinking something is wrong (like is the frame really o.k.) and sooner or later it would finally get the best of me and then I would sell it. This of course is just me and not to mention I am superstitious, this bike has bad karma, it must go. Not to mention it is a brand spanking new bike - getting it fix just does not work for me. Just my opinion, you may not feel the same as I do and you may be o.k. with your dealer fixing it. I have never found a dealer who really is qualified when it comes to crashed bikes, unless they are basically replacing everything. For me a car is one thing if not 100% o.k. it more than likely won't put you in harms way. These motorcycles are high performance machines and you do not need to find out that something was overlooked.
Good luck
Bruce
I would agree with you, but unfortunately the insurance company has the last say. I would trust this particular dealer to put it back together again though. Their technicians are great.

Time will tell.

Cheers, Brian
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2006, 10:06 pm

hmmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipenslippers
Thanks for the concern. No, not too badly. I think we will be ok before the bike is.
Again....good to hear you made out with little injury. Was wondering though...think you may be one of the first to go down on the new GT?

"flying through hyper-space ain't like dustin' crops boy"
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2006, 10:28 pm

" First to go down" what does that matter.....? Other than a little salt in the wounds? I am happy to hear that he is fine.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2006, 5:59 am Thread Starter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzyboy
Again....good to hear you made out with little injury. Was wondering though...think you may be one of the first to go down on the new GT?
I was thinking this myself. I haven't heard of anyone else yet. Might as well make the first crash in 26 years the first on a new bike and new model!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode