Electric voltage on brake light to install stobe light - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Evangelos K
  • 2 Post By XMagnaRider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2018, 5:41 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Electric voltage on brake light to install stobe light

Hello, I’m trying to install a strobe light on my K1200gt.
I need a 12v signal to set it on.
First choice, obviously, is the brake light cable, bus it has 2,6v for the position light and then, when brake lever is pressed, the 12v I need.
The problem is that the strobe flashes with the 2,6v of the position light, so it’s constantly on.

Tried with several relays. They work when brake in on, but they go crazy with the 2,6v.

Any ideas?

I'm attaching the light I'm using.

Thanks!

Andrés
from Chile
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Captura de pantalla 2018-03-10 a la(s) 20.39.49.png
Views:	21
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	22913  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2018, 1:08 am
Veteran

I think you want a bright flashing brake light, right? If so, you need a special Canbus-friendly flashing brake light for your K1200GT. An ordinary LED brake light accessory will not work.

That is because the brake light on your K1200GT does not operate like other brake lights. The brake light on your K1200GT uses on/off pulses of electricity. The pulses are shorter or less frequent when the running light is on; the pulses are longer or more frequent when the brighter brake light is on. You need a special brake light that can recognize when the brake light pulses are happening or not.

Because the brake light works with pulses of electricity, you will be confused by the voltage readings from a standard voltmeter.

If the brake light accessory does not say "Works with BMW Motorcycles" or "Canbus friendly" or something like that, then it probably will not work on your K1200GT, so sorry.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2018, 9:41 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2018, 7:24 am
Noob

You will need to feed the running portion (always on) of the light from the battery, and tap to the “brake on” tail light to feed the flasher portion of the light.

I gave up trying to find LED bulbs that work with the tail. I got something similar, a license plate with lights that indicate braking with accelerometers, for the main reason that with the BMW canbus, you need to feed it from a straight 12v source anyway. I will be installing it this weekend.

Good luck if you find any compatible ones, pls do let me know.
AndresLang likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2018, 1:27 pm
Veteran

I have bought several items from Pirate's Lair, but not a brake light. Still, I highly recommend them for their long term support of BMW motorcycles. You will find two different LED brake light solutions on this web page. Look for "Signal Dynamics LED License Plate Frame" and also "Lite Blazer License Plate Frame" here:

Pirates' Lair: Aftermarket, Custom, and Performance MC Accessories for the BMW K1200GT / K1300GT

A quick web search for "2006 K1200GT LED Brake Lights Canbus" yielded additional good results, and that was without really trying. I suggest trying variants of my search string to get more results.
AndresLang and Evangelos K like this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2018, 5:20 pm
Noob

Yep. I was referring giving up on LED bulbs to work with the tail light. LED bulbs for the signals worked just fine. I did see the pirates lair options, but for 10 bucks more I’ll give the Vololights a chance, since it detects any slow down in speed and is adjustable, and saw no bad reviews.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2018, 10:53 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
RFW at I-BMW.com created the electronic system to provide the 12 volts you need when the brakes are activated to trigger a relay to power additional brake lights
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LED Brakelight Adapter Schematic.pdf (31.4 KB, 33 views)

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster

Last edited by aj7840; Mar 20th, 2018 at 10:56 pm. Reason: did not need link, correct grammer
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2018, 7:14 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thank you very much!! I will show it to my electronic friend to see if he understand it (I don't)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2018, 9:35 pm
Noob

Brake Light convertor

I built one of these 2 years ago and it works fantastic. If you can read the schematic or have someone help you. It was easy to soldier. Works great, easy to install.

Mike in Indianola
1960-R60
1971-R60/5
1983 R80RT
2008-K1200GT
+ 14-15 other non-BMW
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 7:27 am Thread Starter
Noob

Great! I have a friend who will built this for me.
Thank you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode