A low seat for a short inseam - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2006, 8:16 pm Thread Starter

A low seat for a short inseam

I have been reading the postings here, and on the prior site, for several years but decided that now was the time for my first original post.

My love and I came to this sport 5 years and about 15,000 miles ago. As a girl she had ridden dirt bikes with her brothers on the farm. But my parents were set against bikes. That carried on for many years until I surprised her with a HD Sportster for Christmas one year and I bought a used Honda Rebel for myself. I had no idea what I was buying other than it was the smallest HD that looked like a HD.

The Sportster did not work out very well but it did lead to another bike, which lead to another until she was on her Beloved Heritage Softtail Classic and I had a K1200RS.

I had wanted to get her onto a bike with ABS. But while her legs reach all the way to the ground when she is walking, they don’t when she is sitting on many BMW’s. We did find an R1100S, the Red Rocket that was low enough to the ground and light enough to stand up. She had the Red Rocket as second bike for shorter rides. But the seating position was too aggressive for her to be comfortable for a longer ride.

When the GT was on the horizon, it looked shorter and narrow so we decided that we would order one under the theory that “one of us would like it.” We did order the short seat when we ordered the bike. The seat came a couple of weeks before the bike so she was ready.

We went to see that actual bike two weeks ago on Saturday. We were not sure if we would trade in my K1200RS or her R1100S. That would determine whose name would go on the title. On that fateful Saturday, my love decided that she would trade in the Red Rocket – which was OK since I was not comfortable giving up a bike that I knew I liked, for one that I might like. So her name went on the title, the low seat went on the K1200GT, and she rode it home.

By the time she got home, the seat did not fit her posterior. So with an extra full height seat that one of us could use on the bike, we peeled the cover off the seat and started out to reshape the seat with an electric knife. The knife was hard to control so we sketched a outline we thought would work on the side of the seat and put the seat on my radial arm saw. Following the sketch with the radial arm saw worked great. We then followed up with some very rough sand paper. The result is that we took 3 inches off of a measurement from one peg over the top to the other peg. And now she has a comfortable seat.

Seat before

Seat After

The result is that at 5’ 3” with a 28” inseam she likes the bike. This is what some RT riders call “the pull of the dark side of the force.”

My love has let me ride it twice now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2006, 7:19 am

Congratulations for a new GT! It looks nice. She looks happy.
Thank you for posting this. This is encouraging to me. I am short 5'6'' and has short inseam. I am drooling over BMWs but most of them are tall. I may start to think about geeting one seriously.

HK
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2006, 9:23 am
Statmaster

Hell, if I even thought of letting my wife take the GT, I'd have to go buy another one for me to ride. I'm trying to keep her as far away from the GT as possible, but after this last trip to NM, she's itching for a new bike.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2006, 10:58 am Thread Starter

That is what I thought during the time I spent with my first two wives.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2006, 11:03 am
The Gov

Quote:
Originally Posted by omsbitaro
Congratulations for a new GT! It looks nice. She looks happy.
Thank you for posting this. This is encouraging to me. I am short 5'6'' and has short inseam. I am drooling over BMWs but most of them are tall. I may start to think about geeting one seriously.

HK
Fear not, I'm 5'8", 29-30" inseam and I'm on it with the regular seat in the low with no problems, other than the pain I expect to get on my first 500 mile day.

Phil Space
Springfield, VA
2007 K1200GT the road beast
2009 F800GS - My little adventure bike.
2007 F800ST - Her's, but I can ride it.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2006, 10:25 pm

Im 5' 6" and have a bike on order.

I ordered mine with the low seat option. I have sat on the bike and shold be able to flat feet with the low seat.

BMW just needs to ship my bike. Was suppouse to go into production 05/18. I guess I shouldn't of passed on the Crystal Grey.

Oh well, I will have to just keep riding my RS.

Retroboy.

Retroboy
2007 k1200 GT-Dark Graphite
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2006, 2:26 pm
Rookie

FRED, thanks for the retro ideas,keep us posted
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2006, 2:29 pm
The Gov

Thanks for bumping the thread. One thing that I forgot to post was that on my first day ride my knees were getting stiff so on my subsequent 300 mile jaunt, after seeing tall guys saying the liked it better with the seat down, I raised mine. I think it helped, but I'm not sure. I'm going to go back out with it down and see if there is a difference. I also dropped teh handlebars a notch to see what would happen.

Phil Space
Springfield, VA
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2006, 5:37 pm
Addict

Question

Phil
Are BOTH your HEELS on the ground with a 30" inseam on the GT?

Thanks
Robert

2018 R1200RT White-I like it
2014 R1200RT Ebony Black--(deep Burgundy)
2012 R1200RT Tri-Color (traded for 2014 R1200RT see above)
2012 R1200RT Tri-Color (Traded for exact same bike, see above)
2010 K1300FT Red the fast color
2004 R1100SA "Piedmont Red Metallic" (Traded)
2002 K1200RS BLACK (Traded for RT)
2000 FLTRSEI "Screamin Eagle, Triple Red" Gone but not forgotten.
1999 FXR3 "Green Flame" In the Garage
1998 K1200RS "Taxi" (sold)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2006, 7:57 pm
The Gov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhead
Phil
Are BOTH your HEELS on the ground with a 30" inseam on the GT?
I'm closer to a 29" and I have to say, "hell no", maybe one and toes or ball of the foot on the other. The only time I could ever do that was maybe on my first R65. From my K75, R100, all the RT's, F650GS etc., they never have, but just like riding a GS, I never really need both feet heel down. I always try to control how I stop and always do the strong side stop with my left foot on the ground right foot on the rear brake unless the road or shoulder is canted the other way, then I compensate in the other direction and use the hand brake.

I did 300 miles with the seat on high on Saturday as a test and never had a problem starting or stopping or when doing U turns on gravel roads. Hell, I don't put my feet down anyway accept to stop and prefer the bike to go a bit farther over to be more stable rather than "teeter" in the middle. This is just my style and has worked for me through all my short years. Never dropped a bike ever while stopped or standing. The only times I have dropped a bike were at a speed where your foot would have done nothing but get hurt under a 600 lbs bike.

My wife is 5' 3" and rides an '04 RT.

Phil Space
Springfield, VA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode