Dead Temperature Gauge - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 7:03 am Thread Starter
Noob

Dead Temperature Gauge

The weather is finally changing and I am desperate to get my 2010 K1300GT back on the road, but I need HELP. After adding LED turn signal lights to the front of my bike, I put all the plastic back on and went for a short shakedown ride. The lights work great, but I noticed the temperature gauge no longer registers. All the other displays work fine. After doing some research, I took all the tupper ware off again and checked every wire, every connector and the temperature sensor REPEATEDLY and still no temperature reading. Can anyone out there offer assistance to an increasingly despondent rider? The cooling system may be working correctly, but I do not want to take the chance of getting stuck on a trip with an overheating bike. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2018, 7:02 pm
Addict

Tow places to check for loose wire or bad connection:
1. On the back of the instrument panel there is one connection for all the signals that control instruments including the gas gauge. Remove, clean, add dialectric grease, reinstall. To get to that connector you may need to pull the windscreen and remove three circlips that hold the instruemnt panel on....fun
2. Pull the right side large tupperware panel, exposing the ZFE (cental vehicle electronics) module. There are two huge connector plugs on the ZFE. Remove and reinstall those big plugs to hopefully clear up the connection. To remove them you pull up on the very large 'levers' on the 'top' of the connectors, very stiff, and may need to cut some wire ties to get to them.
3. If all that doesn't work, most likely culprit is the ZFE module itself. It is a flat box, maybe 9 inches tall x 6 inches wide and only .5 inches thick. In it are the circuits that control all your instruments and controls. There are lots of soldered joints inside. Some of those joints can fail over time, usually because of bad solder joints. The joints may be fixed or you can buy and new ($$$$$) ZFE. I fixed mine by re-soldering the joints. Not a job for the faint hearted. This is one that I had to do on my 09GT. I ended up buying a used compatible ZFE in ebay for $80
4. Good luck

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2018, 9:04 pm
Noob

The temp sensor is a NAPA part and less than $10 and the plug connections on the leads going to the gauge have a tendency to corrode .
Buy a fine bronze brush and dress each connection in the bundle. you may have to build a cinch post adjuster to bring more tension to the female connections. Use a safety pin and turn the tip at a 90 degree angle within the limits of the diameter of the female bore, insert and capture the friction fingers and bring them inward, problem solved
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2018, 9:48 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
My temp sensor starting acting up yesterday (stuck at 59 when it was 92). I jiggled the temp probe a little and it started to work again. I guess I'll disconnect it and check all of the connections.

2009 K1300 GT
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2005 R1200 RT - gone
2008 Honda CBR1000 RR - gone

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2018, 3:20 pm
Addict

Yes, I agree, by all means: Clean, squeeze and jiggle before doing the heavy stuff...good luck.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project

Tags
gauge, temperature

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode