Bleeding at home - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 3:28 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Bleeding at home

Hi all
My brakes need bleeding on my k12 gt I want to do it myself and just wanting any advice please.
I've just replaced all the pads and pins but the bleeding looks a lot more involved. I have the CD but theres no mentiom of the bleed nipple at the handbrake reservoir and i'm wandering what its for.
I'd like to do the whole system, sny advise appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2018, 6:58 am
Noob

Which year is your bike? There are several abs brake configurations.

82 Honda CB900F
83 Honda CB1100F
06 K1200GT
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2018, 6:58 pm
Noob

Google is your best friend....... there are videos on YouTube for my vintage (early 2000's)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2018, 8:37 pm
Addict

If you have a 2007+ K-bike then standard bleeding is very simple and requires only the usual bleeding at the calipers (just like on a non-ABS system) and that's it. There is normally no need to bleed at the master cylinder (brake lever) unless you have completely drained the master cylinder. Things are more complicated if you have opened any brake lines (other than at the calipers) or have a 2006 or earlier bike with the 'servo' brakes, but for 2007+ and later it's very easy.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2018, 12:35 pm
Noob

Mity-vac. Best $20 you’ll ever spend.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2018, 8:58 am
Addict

On 2007+ KGT I was able to bleed front and rear by just pumping the lever and cracking the nipple at the respective calipers with a hose immersed in a bottle with brake fluid, and a little topping off at the reservoirs. I did a pretty complete flush like that. The nipple at the master cylinder is for dealer/factory fill and is not needed for this.

Try not to snap off the bleed nipples if they are stuck tight. A little penetrating oil first helps. Speed bleeders make it even easier if your arms and legs won't reach the levers and nipples at the same time.

That's about it.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2018, 4:06 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks a kot that's exactly what i wanted 👌
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2018, 3:41 pm
Noob

Just finished bleeding my brake system. Front, rear and abs. I spent $25 for a motion pro mini bleeder. In my mind it's the way to go. Has a check valve and a socket that fits the nipple. Available in different sizes. True one person bleeding. They suggest doing a final "conventional" bleed. Didn't see any air bubbles on the final bleed.

Chris

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode