Brake wear warning light...can I turn it off? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2018, 5:05 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Brake wear warning light...can I turn it off?

2006 BMW K1200GT....73k miles

So Many, many years ago I knew about the wear warning indicator on these K bikes. I changed up my pads (have done many times since) and took the warning wire out of the equation. I just taped it up out of the way with the wire intact.

Strangely last year on a 4 day ride from Canada to Mexico it came on early one morning. Then off, then on then off over a number of miles (same day). It has stayed off for at least 4k more miles.

Last weekend went for a ride and it came on again. I checked the front wire...still intact.

I thought there was a rear wire but I could not find it.

So..question.
Is there a way to just turn the dang warning light off?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2018, 2:13 am
Rookie

Garage
Yes, you need to recode the ZFE Unit and set the "BRAKEPAD_WEAR_IND to NICHT_AKTIV..... that will turn it off permanently....
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2018, 4:20 pm Thread Starter
Addict

And how do I do that?

I'm guessing I'll need some type of electronic diagnosis tool?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2018, 6:30 pm

Ö.this tool was updated recently and is now very comprehensive, it will come out less than 1/4 of the price of the GS911.... if you already own and android or apple phone

interestingly the UK versions don't get the brake pad wear indicator, but have seen its in the tool to play with (no wires on the UK bikes for sensors).
you can also use it to swap out the TPMS sensors and even turn on tyre temp display in the cluster which is pretty cool

https://translate.google.com/transla...-text=&act=url
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2018, 1:32 pm
Noob

Is it possible to recode the ZFE Unit and set the "BRAKEPAD_WEAR_IND to NICHT_AKTIV with the GS-911, which I already own?

I've just renewed my front and rear pads and snipped the warning wires front and rear. I've soldered each pair of lead together, covered with heat shrink tubing, and tie wrapped to the brake line, out of the way.

After 5 minutes on the road, the pad wear indicator lights up - for the first time! What's with that? Before I cover that warning indicator with black tape I'd like to defeat it with my GS-911.

Thanks, Stuart
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2018, 9:25 pm
Addict

I don't know if the gs911 can do that, but the warning light is only on if there is an open circuit in the lines you cut and soldered and sealed. Perhaps a connector has come loose as it makes its way from the wheel to the ZFE. You could trace that line and see. Sure, it would be nice if this could be defeated with the GS911.....

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2018, 7:53 pm
Noob

Exclamation

So I took the front wire and snipped it ABOVE the connector and just below the fuel tank. Connected the two wires, soldered and heat shrunk. But the light continued to come on after a few miles on the road.

Today I used my GS-911 - again - and it told me that the rear pad was worn. So I removed the connector adjacent to the rear pad, followed the wire from the swing arm up towards the passenger seat. It actually travels behind the aux powerlet outlet by my left ankle. Stripped the wires, twisted together, soldered, heat shrunk. 20 mile test ride with a gas stop and that light never came on again. I think we have success!

Stuart
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2018, 1:49 pm
Addict

Good

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode