Charcoal Canister Bypass - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2018, 12:05 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Exclamation Charcoal Canister Bypass

Hey guys I'm looking for a thread detailing this process with intact pictures but I can't find one. There is a thread that describes it in detail but it keeps referencing pics stored in PhotoBucket that are no longer there. That makes it pretty tough.

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/43-k12...ster-pass.html

Above is that thread, but it's tough to follow. Anyone got a link to a better one?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2018, 9:50 pm
Addict

Is there a particular reason you want to remove the evaporative emissions canister or just for the helluvit? If the latter I'd suggest leaving it in place, it normally does no harm and if you remove it and vent your gas tank directly to the atmosphere it will be essentially the same as having a gas can in your garage with an open cap, and while that may not be an issue in an open area in a hot closed garage you will probably smell gas fumes. The canister is normally trouble-free unless you frequently get raw fuel in it by overfilling the gas tank -- and since the vent is on the very top of the tank you really have to overfill it in order to have any change of getting any fuel in the vent line. The best answer is... just don't do that.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2018, 1:33 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks, I did find a way to do it on another forum tho. The reason to do this is that the filter becomes clogged over time and sometimes even contains liquid gas from overfills. This causes very uneven running and a host of hard to place problems. The issues are well documented on the various forums tho. Removing it clears the issues, and it certainly did in my case. Mine is running sweetly again. The canister is specific to US bikes for California emissions. In the rest of the world the bike comes configured as mine is now and they do not vent in the garage. I know it is theoretically more possible but it is not happening to people who do this from what I have read and my own experience now.

I restore classics and own Harleys. Those bikes vent all the time, lol. The BMW won’t be able to keep up if it starts venting, trust me 🙂
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2018, 11:35 am
Noob

Can you share the link or let us know the other forum you found with the instructions. Thanks
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2018, 6:59 pm
Addict

I wrote up that write-up...don't even remember which forum though. Of course I took directions from others, hehehe

Here it is again....hope I can copy it okay.

well the pics didn't come through......

Let me know your e-mail and I'll send the 'WORD' document to you with explanation and pics.

Mike
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2018, 4:52 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmwrs View Post
I wrote up that write-up...don't even remember which forum though. Of course I took directions from others, hehehe

Here it is again....hope I can copy it okay.

well the pics didn't come through......

Let me know your e-mail and I'll send the 'WORD' document to you with explanation and pics.

Mike
Mike

I've read all your tech posts about the mods to k12gt and wanted to try them myself. Could you send me the word files with the pics? I want to attempt the canister and stepper motor for sure... any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Tom Davis

[email protected]
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2018, 6:40 pm
Addict

Tom

Sorry i don't get here much. Did you still need the write ups?

Mike
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2019, 9:49 pm

Garage
A Big Thank You to kbmwrs

Thank you kbmwrs (Mike) for sending me the information on how to do the bypass.

If your ever in SoCal I owe you lunch.

Last edited by Douglas M; Sep 7th, 2019 at 10:02 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode