New to BMW - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2006, 8:34 pm Thread Starter

New to BMW

I'm a new BMW owner with the purchase of a new GT (blue) from my local dealer. I've been riding Harley-Davidson exclusively until now, but was smitten with what the German engineers had to offer. I only have a couple of hundred miles on the bike so far, but I can say without hesitation that I love it. It's a completely different riding style for me. I still have, and love, my "day-cruising" harley, but this new GT is easily becoming my long-range bike of choice.
I've decided to outfit my new bike with a GPS unit, and I think that I've settled on the new Garmin 2820, which is to be available this June. This new unit has Bluetooth capability so that one could use a compatable mobile phone through the speaker/headset operations.
I'm wondering if there is anyone who currently does this with other gps units (Tomtom, other Garmins, etc.) and if it's a usefull or dangerous tool? Usually I wait until a rest or fuel stop to check my voicemail, but answering on the fly sounds interesting.
Looking forward to some warm riding weather this holiday weekend. And if not, I'll heat the grips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2006, 8:49 pm
no power in the 'verse can stop me

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnBob
Usually I wait until a rest or fuel stop to check my voicemail, but answering on the fly sounds interesting. .
You're kidding, right ??

Surely if you've spent ANY time at all on a motorcycle you've had to dodge the
brain dead idiots talking on their cell phones.

And you're thinking about becoming one of them ?? :wtf

Oh... and welcome aboard.

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2006, 8:58 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnBob
I'm a new BMW owner with the purchase of a new GT (blue) from my local dealer. I've been riding Harley-Davidson exclusively until now, but was smitten with what the German engineers had to offer. I only have a couple of hundred miles on the bike so far, but I can say without hesitation that I love it. It's a completely different riding style for me. I still have, and love, my "day-cruising" harley, but this new GT is easily becoming my long-range bike of choice.
I've decided to outfit my new bike with a GPS unit, and I think that I've settled on the new Garmin 2820, which is to be available this June. This new unit has Bluetooth capability so that one could use a compatable mobile phone through the speaker/headset operations.
I'm wondering if there is anyone who currently does this with other gps units (Tomtom, other Garmins, etc.) and if it's a usefull or dangerous tool? Usually I wait until a rest or fuel stop to check my voicemail, but answering on the fly sounds interesting.
Looking forward to some warm riding weather this holiday weekend. And if not, I'll heat the grips.
Welcome. Check out what you can do with autocom at http://www.autocomamerica.com/ .
I bought one for my bike a month ago and so far it's great. I don't have it connected with my cell phone because I don't want it to be, but it's great for rider-passenger commo. I haven't tried bike-to-bike. Oh, and keep the Harley. It's a great ride.

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2006, 9:14 pm
Enthusiast

Wecome to the cult Finn. Use to own a 03 Harley Screaming Eagle Road King along with my 04 GT bimmer. Sold the Harley because I NEVER rode it. Great bike to look at but I wanted to ride not look.

FYI the SE Road King could not even touch the ride quality along with straight in line power of the GT. Can't ride with my Harley friends any more. Not because they won't ride with me but they get tired of playing catch up all day long.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2006, 9:36 pm
Telepathetic

Congrats on your new toy. I espeically like your color choice and predict it will be the stealthiest color.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode