Cee Bailey's Taking Orders - K1200GT Shield - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2006, 8:56 am Thread Starter
Statmaster

Cee Bailey's Taking Orders - K1200GT Shield

I just got off the phone with Tom. CeeBailey's is taking pre-orders for windshields for the new K1200GT. They are 1-2 weeks out for production, so now is a good time to pre-order. The introductory price is $190 (plus about $10 shipping), but I expect after the introduction, the price will be in the mid $200 range (like everything else they sell for BMWs). They are available in up to 6" higher, 2" lower, and also can be ordered 2" or 3" wider. The windshield has a little bit of a flip to it a the top, but not as pronounced as the R1200RT or K1200LT shields.

http://www.ceebaileys.com/bmw/1200gt06ws.html

Without having the benefit of anyone else trying this first, I went out on a limb and ordered 2" higher and 2" wider. I'm 6'3", so people who are taller or shorter may want to order something different.

If you call them, ask for Tom and tell them Jeff sent you, or you heard about it on K-Bikes.com.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2006, 9:14 am

ElJeffe,

I am going to place an order today also, I will do it thru Tom, thanks.

So if I understand all the measurements, if you currently have a 'tall' shield now, and order a +2" in height shield, it will actually be 0.3" shorter than the 'tall' BMW shield, since the 'tall' shield is claimed to be 2.3" taller that the stock shield?????

I have the tall shield and am planning on ordering the +6" shield which would put it 3.7" taller than my current shield.

Do you agree with these number?

dave
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2006, 9:21 am Thread Starter
Statmaster

Dave,

I talked to Tom, and based on my experience with the LT, I felt going with basically the same height as the BMW high shield (CB +2") and going wider (CB +2") would benefit me the most. I didn't want to go super high with the 6", but I think with the flip at the top and a little wider, the buffeting that is bothering me so much will go away.

BTW, Did you get the Crystal Grey from Bryan at Ft Worth? Or did you go someplace else?

Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2006, 9:33 am

Jeff,

Yes I got the first bike (Crystal Grey) from Bryan in FW.

Now you've really got me wondering about what dimensions to order, I have never had a CeeBailey shield before, and I would REALLY like to get it right the first time! Maybe I'll just go 4" taller, any reason you aren't going 3" wider? All insight appreciated!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2006, 9:52 am Thread Starter
Statmaster

I sorta determined the dimensions while riding last week. I put my hand up on the shield and moved it around. I noticed wind changes and sound changes, depending on where my hand and arm was blocking the wind. Since I don't want to go too big, it seemed a couple inches higher and wider would do the trick. It's all a guessing game at this point.

I recommend you go find some long stretch of road where you can move your hand around the shield and see what happens.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2006, 11:21 am

I've ordered one that is 2" lower — what can I say, I don't mind the wind. Reminds me that I'm on a motorcycle. Will post pix once it arrives.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2006, 11:59 am
The Gov

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggitydogg
I've ordered one that is 2" lower — what can I say, I don't mind the wind. Reminds me that I'm on a motorcycle. Will post pix once it arrives.
I went out for a ride last night to see how good/bad the lights were and I have to say, that with the tall sheild all the way down, the helmet gets clean air for me, it's actually refreshing. I might continue to play with this for a bit before I pull the trigger on a CB.

Phil Space
Springfield, VA
2007 K1200GT the road beast
2009 F800GS - My little adventure bike.
2007 F800ST - Her's, but I can ride it.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2006, 7:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by philspace
I went out for a ride last night to see how good/bad the lights were and I have to say, that with the tall sheild all the way down, the helmet gets clean air for me, it's actually refreshing. I might continue to play with this for a bit before I pull the trigger on a CB.
Keep us posted guys on your experiences!

I'm inclined to order the +6" and +3" wider, since I now have the tall screen, and it definitely needs to be bigger: with the added 3.7" for the +6" CB it doesn't seem that much more. Luckily Jeff indicates it has a lip...

Thx

Luc
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2006, 10:51 am
The Gov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucsch
Keep us posted guys on your experiences!

I'm inclined to order the +6" and +3" wider, since I now have the tall screen, and it definitely needs to be bigger: with the added 3.7" for the +6" CB it doesn't seem that much more. Luckily Jeff indicates it has a lip...

Thx

Luc
I was out all day yesterday, it was sunny and in the mid 80's. I think I'm keeping the BMW shield for a while, I like the way I get quiet air with it down for my helmet and it helps fill the 'stitch out keeping things cool, however I know I'm going to be ordering a CB once folks chime in on the sizes because with mine up, it suck, just not quite high enough, so in the rain and cold weather it's not going to cut it.

Phil Space
Springfield, VA
2007 K1200GT the road beast
2009 F800GS - My little adventure bike.
2007 F800ST - Her's, but I can ride it.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2006, 7:32 pm
Veteran

Can't remember which one it is but I ordered the same one as the tall BMW I have. I went the 3 " wide. My understanding the 'flip' is very mild, according to Tom.

My problem Jeff and perhaps yours, I tend to want to compare OR WANT the same protection I have on the LT which IMO just ain't gonna happen. Maybe I just ordered it because I like Cee Bailey's screens, got the wider, and smoked gray.

Among all of us we should at least figure it out. You keep us posted Jeff with the tall one; seems I always end up buying 2 CB screens and then nitpicking which is really better.

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode