Disconnect Garmin connection K1300GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2018, 5:50 am Thread Starter
Noob

Disconnect Garmin connection K1300GT

I've recently bought a used 2010/2011 K1300GT. It is a lovely bike, but I have a couple of questions.

Previous owner has mounted a Garmin 595 mount on it. I did not get the garmin gps included. So I wish to demount the garmin.

My problem is that I dont know this bike. I have demounted the fairing for the battery. But the cables and connections are under the battery.

It seems that I have to demount the fairings "around" the tank? Does anyone have some ideas or advices?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2018, 9:25 am
Veteran

The wiring could have been done several ways. You may have to remove the plastic to get at the wires. Which plastic depends on where the wires go, of course.

One problem is that the screws are many different lengths, and you must keep track of them. Here are a few hints about removing the plastic:

* Take a photo of each panel before you remove it or find a photo on the internet. Print the photo. Tape or glue the paper photo to a piece of cardboard. I use the lids from boxes that hold reams of paper. As you remove a screw, punch it through the cardboard in the matching part of the photo. That way, you will remember which screw goes where. (Thanks to Meese for this great idea!)

* Be very careful when tightening screws into the plastic. You can easily crack the plastic.

* You may need to buy extra rubber expansion plugs with the metal inserts, part number 46 63 2 347 012, called "flat headed blind rivet nuts. The rubber often breaks when you remove them. They are expensive, but I always keep one or two on hand. I have had to replace a couple metal clips with the screw threading too (46 63 7 658 638, "flat nut").

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode