Ready for new rear tire k1300 gt - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2018, 4:31 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
Cool Ready for new rear tire k1300 gt

Hello all :
what are your best recommondations for rear tire.
I am looking at Dunlop, Michelin, Bridgestone.
Any one had good or bad experience.
How long do they last?
Thank's
Eric

Eric the Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2018, 8:36 am
Enthusiast

Garage
I am running Michelin PR4 GT's on my K13GT. I get around 10k on the rear tire and 12k on the front.

2009 K1300 GT
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2005 R1200 RT - gone
2008 Honda CBR1000 RR - gone

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2018, 10:27 am
Veteran

I have a Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT on the rear tire of my 2007 K1200GT. My rear tire is almost bare (local commutes), but I have a new set of PR4s ready to install. All I need is time to take off the old wheels and get the new ones installed.

After trying many brands of tires, I have settled on the Michelins Pilot Road tires. I have ridden with PR2s, PR3s, and PR4s. They have given me good wear (typically well over 10,000 miles per set) and great traction. They are especially good in wet weather. I like the tread pattern on the front tire. I avoid tread patterns with parallel grooves that line up with the direction of travel (e.g. concentric rings). Those tread patterns tend to catch more on the grooves that they cut in freeway pavement here. I think they tend to cause more trouble on edge traps, too. That is one of the reasons I like the PR4s - the tread pattern works well here.

If you live in Southern California, I recommend Wheel Works in Garden Grove. I have them change my tires, but I do my own static balancing with a Marc Parnes wheel balancing set. Wheel Works does not have the correct hub to spin balance my rear wheel.

The real question I am facing is whether to replace the TPM sensors. Right now, I have the original sensors (from 2007!!) still working in the K1200GT. The rear sensor is slow to connect, but it has been reliable. The "slow to connect" has been going on for years. I thought that the battery was giving out, but it keeps going. If I decide to replace the TPM sensors, then what kind of replacements should I buy? New BMW $ensors from the dealer, or the cheap ones from eBay?

Do you have any thoughts about tires, old TPMs, sources of TPM sensors, etc.?
Pmw121 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2018, 11:39 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
tps sounds like you got goo d life out of original

see if you can find dealer on line that will give you good deal on two.
Has any one tried Metzler tires?
Thank's
Eric
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2018, 4:09 pm
Rookie

Hi

I switched from Pilot Roads to Metzeler Roadtec 01 and am very pleased. I think modern tyres are all amazing now and there is not a great deal choose between them, but the Roadtec's do provide a noticeably better ride - smoother and more predictable. I've not yet tried them in the wet and can't tell you a bout wear (only done about 600 miles).

I like 'em - but the are expensive!

Doug
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2018, 12:24 pm
Addict-oholic

Switched to PR4's and they are much better than the Bridgetsones on my K1300GT

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 8:26 pm
Noob

I had Dunlop RoadSmart II's installed front/rear @ 20745, 4/16. Returned for service 6/17 to find the rear was S-H-O-T @ 23692; the front was good for another 4-5K maybe.

Dealer had originally recommended Michelin ZR17 Road Pilot 4 GT's. Sez that was what they put on all State Patrol & Metro Moto's in OR.

You don't have to hit me twice to get my attention. And they seem to wear as well as the ride.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2018, 10:22 pm
Noob

K1300 GT Tires

2010 K1300 GT. Started with Michelin Pilot Road 2's, they worked well. Generally around 10K miles for the rear and a bit more, for the front. Michelin made a big deal about the 3's but a friend had marginal luck and the 4's came out so soon that I believe Michelin agreed with my friend. I switched to Pilot Road 4 GT's and ran them exclusively for three years, then on price switched to Dunlop RoadSmart III's. I'm definitely getting better wear on the rear. Also noticing less skip out on 90 degree corners. I'm on my second set of Dunlop RSIII's. The jury is still out on the front. I got good mileage from the Dunlop RSIII front(11K miles) but I think the cupping may be more than on the Michelin PR4. I gave up on Metzler a long time ago.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2018, 3:22 pm
Noob

Garage
Smile Michelin PR 4 GT

I just replaced my rear Michelin PR3 on my 2007 K1200GT with Michelin PR 4 GT. I only got 8,250 on the PR3. I hope to get 10,000 on this new PR4 GT. Maybe if I did not accelerate or go through twisted roads, I would get better milage..... One plus was the PR4 GT went on fairly easy. I have heard that Dunlops get good wear, but are hard to put on yourself......
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2018, 11:12 am

mine has Pilot 4 GTs they are disgusting and I may throw them in a skip early (where they belong) alongside the deadly Pilot 3 I tried on the front of my GS

mate runs Pirelli dragon or something and loves them on his 13GT, I'll be using Dunlop RoadSmart 3s . Re. short life claimed above for the RS2s I doubt it. but anyway the 3s on a FJ1300 did 80% more mileage than competitor tyres from multiple brands, mine easily did 7000 miles and there is nothing to fault on RS3s. Its so much better is not even a competitor.

One is suitable for the mortuary and the other is a tyre worth having on your bike, RS3' have far more consistent and far nicer feel from the front which is plain awful on the Michelins with its super flex dangerous carcass

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode