Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Moscow, , Russia
the first ride
At last took my bike home - was quite a short ride because the weather was not friendly to the bikers and the tyres were new. Here are some first impressions:
1. WHAT A BIKE! (C) Eljeffe
2. OK, I was a little nervous - my new bike was SO-O powerful and So-O beautiful! What I noticed immediately was the throttle - very-very light. Feather light. But totally predictable and confident! No idling issue so far.(touch wood)
3. Handling is really easy! I did not believe myself that I rode a 300 kg bike! It's leaning easier than 600cc bike.:-)) Strange, I was concerned about the long wheelbase, but there is nothing special in it - the bike goes into the curves naturally.
4. Brakes are just perfect. Nothing to add. Did not spend a second to adapt myself - just slow down where needed!
5. Feeling of speed is false! Unless you give a glimpse on the speedo you do not feel the real speed. In my case it was 130 kmh(fact)against 70 kmh(felt). around 4000rpm/5th gear.
6. Comfort: low seat position, high windshield in the low, handlebars in the middle - OK for me. I am 176 cm tall( 5'10"-right?) with 31 inseam. The seat suites me just fine. But the windshield was moved higher at the speed of 80 kmh as it produced serious noise. And it started vibrating at 120 kmh. I meet a light rain - did not realise at the first moment that it was rain. Just two drops on the visor and five minutes later, after the windshield and the asphalt became wet I knew it! But no changes in bike's behaviour on the road!
7. Engine - nice sound. Low and rich enough! I did not hear it at high speed at all. But always was sure that there was a lot of power at my disposal. No vibs were noticed, but frankly speaking, no rpm higher than 4300 due to riding-in. I agree that there is no need in replacement of the can so far.
8. Gear indicator is a good thing. Shifting is so-O smooth and very accurate. Neutral is very easy to find - just did not draw my attention!
9. Suspension - I rode one-up without cases in a ESA Normal mode: fantastic! Crossed a tramway rails- slowed down instinctively and standed on the pegs a bit, but there was no need! Very stable!
10. Xenon is a good thing either! And the dashboard is clearly seen even in the sunlight.
With best regards
'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
Last edited by eljeffe; May 30th, 2006 at 6:35 am.