No pull, is my clutch completely gone?? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2018, 11:51 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

No pull, is my clutch completely gone??

On my 2007 K1200GT with 47K miles on it, couple of months ago I noticed that when I try to rev up on the freeway the revs would go up but he bike would not accelerate as expected. I figured it is the clutch that is slipping as it did make grinding noise on take off for some time before this started happening.

I have not ridden the bike much since then and today when I was relocating it back to my garage, after couple months of storage, I could barely move the bike. The best speed I got out of it was 20-30 miles per hour. I would let out the clutch lever completely and the bike would move ever so slowly. In fact, dangerously slow on left turns....I did not rev it up past 3000 rpm as there was no point.

Is my clutch completely gone? Could it be anything else, e.g. worse than clutch plates worn out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2018, 8:46 am

Garage
Yes, the clutch would certainly be the likely candidate. The transverse K-Bikes are to the best of my knowledge the 1st time Beemer did a multi-plate clutch and it was a learn as you go effort. The 1200s where that learning curve starting with under-oiling and miss-oiling. There were a number of modifications to the Push Rod area and the Basket to correct the issue which never was completely solved but the 1300 are better.

For starters, get a Barnett clutch pack. It's much cheaper then the stock replacement and better.

You may have damage to the grooves in the inside of the Basket where the plates slide due to lack of lubrication. This will show as gouges and barbs of aluminum in the Basket Grooves. You can spend the money on a new Basket ($$$) or carefully hand file the damaged areas. If all the plate grooves are good, consider yourself lucky. A good indicator on weather or not you have Basket damage is; Did you notice any Clutch Chatter in the past? If so, you are much more likely to have some damage.

I have written a number lengthily posts on this issue that go into more detail that you should find helpful.

The only other possibility I can think of would be that your Final Drive ate itself from lack of oil changes and you have just enough gear teeth to do 30 mph for a very short period of time but I think you'd hear it and I'm sure it would damage the seals enough that gear oil would be running out of it. I have seen where some Beemer guys don't pay any attention to the Final Drive until it scatters on the street. I change the gear oil every spring and haven't had a rear-end failure yet.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2018, 9:02 am
Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceViking View Post
I change the gear oil every spring and haven't had a rear-end failure yet.
I change mine every 6,000 miles with the oil change. It's so easy to do and also gives me a chance to lube the splines.

2009 K1300 GT
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2005 R1200 RT - gone
2008 Honda CBR1000 RR - gone

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2018, 12:24 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF1200RT View Post
I change mine every 6,000 miles with the oil change. It's so easy to do and also gives me a chance to lube the splines.
Do you lube the front axle splines, too? If so, how do you keep the drive shaft in place or get it back in again?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2018, 4:49 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
I don't do the front because it does not slide like the rear joint. It's held in place by a large circlip.

2009 K1300 GT
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2005 R1200 RT - gone

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2018, 8:58 am

Garage
I don't lube the drive shaft every year. They seem to hold their lube pretty well. When I do lube it, I use a non-metallic paste. You can service the front by pulling the front boot back. It's in the manual.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2018, 7:13 pm
Veteran

Are you saying that the front of the driveshaft cannot fall out on its own, even if I don't hold the rear part in place?

I have always been concerned that the driveshaft might pull out of the front accidentally when I am draining the final drive oil.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2018, 7:33 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider View Post
Are you saying that the front of the driveshaft cannot fall out on its own, even if I don't hold the rear part in place?
Sorry. I looked at the fiche and the K bike driveshaft does not have the snap ring on the front of the shaft..

2009 K1300 GT
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2005 R1200 RT - gone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode