Question for K1300GT knowledgeable - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2018, 11:39 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Question for K1300GT knowledgeable

Looking at a used 2010 K1300GT with only 9K on it. Bike LOOKS very clean but we all know dealers are great at that. Concerned about what I don't know about bike - dealer says they are selling on consignment and don;t know owner or bikes records. Any thoughts about what I should be looking at on bike as far as abuse, accidents, neglect? Any known problems with having a bike just not ridden much?

Happy to be here and seeing your responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2018, 7:58 am
Enthusiast

Garage
Dealer will be able to pull all records of performed recalls (fuel pump, rear wheel flange, fuel map update). There was a problem with some of the handle bar switches that were replaced under recall also. Being ridden only 9K, I would have them replace all fluids.

2009 K1300 GT
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2005 R1200 RT - gone
2008 Honda CBR1000 RR - gone
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2018, 10:36 am Thread Starter
Noob

Good to know - I will keep that all in mind. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2018, 11:51 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeemers View Post
Looking at a used 2010 K1300GT with only 9K on it. Bike LOOKS very clean but we all know dealers are great at that. Concerned about what I don't know about bike - dealer says they are selling on consignment and don;t know owner or bikes records. Any thoughts about what I should be looking at on bike as far as abuse, accidents, neglect? Any known problems with having a bike just not ridden much?

Happy to be here and seeing your responses.
That's a great find if the price is right and it is in good condition.

Many of the issues with the earlier K1200GTs were markedly improved on the K1300GTs, and 2010 is the second model year for the K1300GTs. Still, they are very expensive to maintain when parts fail. Common repairs/replacements include ABS module, shocks, clutch, and final drives (much better than the K1200GT versions, but still fail occasionally), etc.

With only 9,000 miles, the next big thing will be a valve clearance check at 18,000 miles, which requires removing the radiator (and vacuum filling it later). It is very expensive if the dealer does it.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2018, 12:02 pm Thread Starter
Noob

TF 1200 and XMagna - Thank you both for your responses.

Yes the dealer would be doing any indepth work on it as I am damn ignorant about that. I want to learn but would prefer to look over the shoulder of someone who knows what they are doing, instead of a trial and error kind of thing. "OOOOPPPPSSS" is NOT a word I want to hear from a doctor or a motorcycle mechanic (or me)!!

The bike actually is at Irv Seaver near you. Asking 8999 -It looks pretty good to me as far as being clean. The mechanicals - I don't know enough to say.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2018, 11:45 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeemers View Post
TF 1200 and XMagna - Thank you both for your responses.

Yes the dealer would be doing any indepth work on it as I am damn ignorant about that. I want to learn but would prefer to look over the shoulder of someone who knows what they are doing, instead of a trial and error kind of thing. "OOOOPPPPSSS" is NOT a word I want to hear from a doctor or a motorcycle mechanic (or me)!!

The bike actually is at Irv Seaver near you. Asking 8999 -It looks pretty good to me as far as being clean. The mechanicals - I don't know enough to say.
Irv Seaver is an excellent dealer and I recommend them. They are a good, family-owned business. I get my parts and service from them (when I don't do it myself).

The price seems high to me for a used K1300GT, even with such low miles, but it is a dealer. I would negotiate for sure. Before you negotiate, go to the service desk and ask how much they charge to do a valve clearance check on that K1300GT, which will be due at 18,000 miles. I bet it costs around $1,000.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2018, 1:50 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider View Post
I would negotiate for sure. Before you negotiate, go to the service desk and ask how much they charge to do a valve clearance check on that K1300GT, which will be due at 18,000 miles. I bet it costs around $1,000.
I think it's somewhere between $800 - $1,000 at the dealer. They always find something else that needs to be fixed when you get that far down into the bike.

2009 K1300 GT
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2005 R1200 RT - gone
2008 Honda CBR1000 RR - gone
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2018, 4:22 pm Thread Starter
Noob

TF1200 and XMagna

Thanks again for the help. I'm glad to hear Seaver is a good dealer. That is the asking price - they are selling the bike for someone else. As far as anyone finding more wrong with things once they are opened, I know that is TRUE! I don't mind paying if it is really needed and then I will have peace of mind down the road. Actually prefer to do it that way, replacing/repairing then trying to skimp by saving a few bucks, especially with a motorcycle in Socal.

I may try dickering with them - I'll keep y'all posted. And again guys thank you. If you have other suggestions, I'm always open to them.

Added on Friday/091418/1536 PST
The dealer said they'd charge somewhere around 1K for the valve job....And they are NOT interested in dealing. Said they had turned down offer for 8K. Don't know NADA indicated just over 8K and KBB was 8,300, so they seem a bit high. We'll see.

Last edited by lovebeemers; Sep 14th, 2018 at 5:37 pm. Reason: Adding INformation
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2018, 8:29 pm
Addict-oholic

Buy the bike at the asking price! It will be the best bike you ever owned. I have a 2009 with just over 20K on the odometer. I had the 1200 version previously. The only real issue I have had with this bike is the "hot start" issue and that has been mostly taken care of by the dealer under a recall. Occasionally on a hot day, when downshifting into first, I sometimes get a stall, but the bike starts up immediately. I have learned to just keep a few extra revs on those few occasions. .
It has power galore and at high speeds, you don't feel any vibration or buffeting.
Love the bike!
Larry
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2018, 10:58 pm Thread Starter
Noob

LarryKay

Thank you for the input. I'm da,m close....I'll let you guys know here. Been getting good info here which is great!

Thanks again all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode