07 k1200gt Clutch Replacement Specialty Tools? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By TF1200RT
  • 1 Post By lhendrick

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2018, 9:58 am Thread Starter
Rookie

07 k1200gt Clutch Replacement Specialty Tools?

I've been slowly gathering the parts to replace the clutch on my 07 k12gt. The bike has a little over 41,000 miles and I'm starting to feel a slight grinding through the clutch lever, but it's not slipping yet. I figured I would just replace the clutch pack to be safe. So far I've ordered: A barnett racing clutch pack, all of the screws to put the clutch cover back on, the clutch cover gasket and a thin walled 30mm socket. I've seen some people use that big wrench that fits around the clutch basket to keep it in place while removing that 30mm nut in in the center of the basket. Do I really need this tool, or are there other ways around it. I'm also going to order the stopper that goes into the crankshaft position sensor hole. I am going to install the timing chain jump guide as well. I'm trying to "bulletproof" my bike.

Last edited by eliastfk; Sep 25th, 2018 at 10:12 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2018, 10:23 am
Enthusiast

Garage
Check with this guy. He is loaning the tools.
https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200-1...ools-loan.html
eliastfk likes this.

2009 K1300 GT
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2005 R1200 RT - gone
2008 Honda CBR1000 RR - gone
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2018, 10:38 am
Addict

Quote "......I'm trying to "bulletproof" my bike........"

That's a good plan, preventive medicine. I'd also like to stop the clutch squealing as I pull away from a stop, but I understand that it may also require replacing or modifying the clutch basket. Any plans to look into that too?

My additional plan is to have $2,000 in the bank for when the expensive bits that I cannot repair myself (final drive, etc) explode.
eliastfk likes this.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2018, 10:46 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrick View Post
Quote "......I'm trying to "bulletproof" my bike........"

That's a good plan, preventive medicine. I'd also like to stop the clutch squealing as I pull away from a stop, but I understand that it may also require replacing or modifying the clutch basket. Any plans to look into that too?

My additional plan is to have $2,000 in the bank for when the expensive bits that I cannot repair myself (final drive, etc) explode.
I'm going to skip the basket this time around as the squealing is super minor at this point. It actually only happens when the bike gets hot. Fingers crossed that the plates alone help my issue. I got lucky, my final drive was replaced with a later unit at some point because mine has the drain plug for servicing and it's a slightly different finish than the rest of the swingarm lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode