K1200GT 2006, ABS repair or delete?? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2018, 4:02 pm Thread Starter
Noob

K1200GT 2006, ABS repair or delete??

I purchased a 2006 K1200GT a few months ago (30K miles), rode it back from FL to Richmond, VA. Within 50 miles of my departure I had rapid flashing 'Brake Failure' lights and the red triangle. After a stop at Jax BMW dealer (no codes were read) I continued north and made Richmond with the warning flashing half the time. Have used my GS-911 several times. I got fault 24971 showing as present ...pressure too high in front wheel circuit. Chatted with svc mgr at my local dealer (Morton's) - suggested I check pads and fluid lever in ABS reservoirs. All OK and replaced all pads as they were looking worn. Presently NOT riding the bike as it sometimes has power assist and sometimes not. Very annoying to ride, if not dangerous.

Option #1: I've been in touch with Module Masters and am on the waiting list. They tell me 'later this year' and I checked in this afternoon - they still do not have the new motors from somewhere? Once received they need to check them out and start working thru the wait list. $750 charge to rebuild with a 5-year warranty. The repair of this ABS III has been 'under development' for a long time.

My other options are

2. Let my local dealer perform an ABS-delete, retaining the electronic part to keep the speedo and cruise working. They estimate about $1000 to do this as they expect to need at least one new brake line. They claim that they have done many of these procedures for riders who cannot afford new units.

3. A local 'independent local mechanic', who just did another BMW ABS-extraction. Assures me he can do it with existing brake lines, keep electronics, etc. He tells me he would charge about $200. I'd prefer to have a single front line instead of 'pieced together' connections. I expect he will comply.

While I would like to have ABS brakes on this very distance-capable bike I'm not getting a good feeling from MM about a target date. And I'd still have an overly complex and sensitive system which could crap out at any time. Worst case - being left with NO brakes, or on-again / off-again power assist.

Comment welcome - trying to decide which route makes the most sense.

Stuart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2018, 5:43 pm

do a search on K1300 ABS, there's a simple video explaining how to fix it yourself. Whilst you may not feel comfortable doing it, there will be plenty of people who do fix them guaranteed for life for half the price u quoted. If you go the main dealer route he will charge $2000 to $3000 to supply the same faulty trash you already have and it will be dead in 7 years.

This is the UK lot that did mine on my GS BMW K1200 ABS (Pump & ECU/Module Combined)

this failure is std on any vehicle with ABS its called designed to fail.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2018, 10:45 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
ABS unit on a 2006 K12GT is much different than K1300's. The '06 models had the whizzy brakes. If you are brave try the ABS delete (I wouldn't want to try to stop a K bike running at triple digits without good brakes).

2009 K1300 GT
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2005 R1200 RT - gone
2008 Honda CBR1000 RR - gone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2018, 5:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF1200RT View Post
ABS unit on a 2006 K12GT is much different than K1300's. The '06 models had the whizzy brakes. If you are brave try the ABS delete (I wouldn't want to try to stop a K bike running at triple digits without good brakes).
yes I was wondering that.... but he said he has ABS11 (2) which is the later type using on most GS's and the K1300s
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2018, 5:34 am

Quote:
yes I was wondering that.... but he said he has ABS11 (2) which is the later type used on most GS's and the K1300s
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2018, 7:26 am Thread Starter
Noob

To clarify - I have the iABS (ABS III) 'whizzy' brakes. This system only used on 2006-2008 K1200s (I think). Older and newer systems are simpler and Module Master has been rebuilding other systems for years, and for much le$$.

The rebuild of this system has been 'under development' (for years?) but they are now on the verge of doing them.

Don't know exactly WHEN they will get to me on the waiting list, and I've decided to leave the bike parked until I resolve this issue, one way or another. It alternates between having power assist and not which can be unnerving if not dangerous.

The old school guys say 'shit can it' and just have normal brakes, which is very appealing. Until a deer jumps out and I grab the brakes. More thoughtful people telling me to wait and keep the ABS.

Stuart
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2018, 7:57 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
If you bought the bike a few months ago, I would just bite the bullet and buy an ABS unit. You might be able to find one on eBay, but that's just taking a chance on another older unit. You can try beemerboneyard.com, they sometimes have units for sale.

2009 K1300 GT
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2005 R1200 RT - gone
2008 Honda CBR1000 RR - gone
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2018, 1:51 pm
Addict

Quote:
If you bought the bike a few months ago, I would just bite the bullet and buy an ABS unit. You might be able to find one on eBay, but that's just taking a chance on another older unit. You can try beemerboneyard.com, they sometimes have units for sale.
+1

I wouldn't want to use my GT without ABS. It's too fast, too heavy and the plastic bodywork costs a lot to fix.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2018, 11:30 pm
Noob

There were four reasons I bought a used BMW K1200GT (03):
1. ABS brakes,
2. Excellent suspension,
3. Drive shaft, and
4. Cruise control.
If any Japanese sport touring cycle had that in 2007 I likely would have bought one of their cycles.
Why ride a BMW without ABS? It makes no sense to me. In fact, why ride a street cycle, or a street passenger vehicle today without ABS? It's simply the best way, and the safest way to stop a vehicle/cycle.
lhendrick likes this.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2018, 4:40 am

Garage
The difference is "Servo Assist". The GT's and Rs both have it. The "S" bikes do not. They are bear bones ABS (the sane form). I have an "S" Bike, keep fresh fluide in it and keep after the system. I haven't had any trouble with it yet.

I've noticed that many Servo Assist owners do remove the feature when it fails to avoid the expense and aggravation. I haven't watched it myself, having not encountered the problem but I've seen there is a clip on YouTube showing how to do it.

Personally, the idea of Power Brakes (which is what Servo Assist is) on a motorcycle is completely ridiculous and I wouldn't buy a bike that had it in the first place; same goes for all that complicated Ride Control. The factory only comes up with this kind of silly shit to out do the Japanese. I think a simpler more reliable system would be much more welcomed.

BTW, even with the bear bones version, your ABS is a little more complicated then most owners realize. Not only is the system monitoring for traction lose, it's proportioning about 30% application to the rear wheel when you apply front brake only. It's always an education when riders who never apply their rear brakes find they have worn out the rear pads anyway.

Tags
abs, delete, failure

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in