Does anyone else ride their k12gt daily? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2018, 8:35 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Does anyone else ride their k12gt daily?

I was just curious to see if anyone rides their k bikes daily because most other bikes I see in person or online have sub-35k miles on them. I personally have been using mine for daily commuting and touring over the past 3 months and plan to keep doing so. My 07 just rolled over 45,000 miles and I bought it with 40,000 so I'm averaging about 1,600 miles a month!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2018, 7:03 pm
Noob

Until I retired 4 yrs ago, I commuted 55 miles each way into Brooklyn NY every day I could usually using either of my two Ks, the K 75 RT was my colder weather bike as it had the better fairing. I was a teacher, so July and August neither was ridden much at all. One year just over half my commutes were by bike. Lane splitting saved me HOURS of commuting time.
eliastfk likes this.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2018, 4:20 pm
Addict

Its a big bike to use on a daily basis. So no ...only use mine for sport touring.

It has low miles at 73K
eliastfk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2018, 5:50 pm
Rookie

Heck yeah, my 2010 K1300GT is my daily driver to/from work unless it's raining. Then my options are to 1) ride with the wife who leaves the house at 5:45 (my office starts at 8:00), 2) call my daughter (who drives a car in my name) or 3) call in sick (haven't done that yet, but... ).

Understand that "to work" is only 4-point-something miles and top speed is about 20. Coming home it's up to the limit (say no more) for about a mile, then back to the grind.

Weekends, the wife and I occasionally go for a ride, weather permitting. She loves it.

Bike is mine for 30 months and just turned 30,000 miles. It's spendy to ship it off island and go touring, so I don't.
eliastfk likes this.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2018, 11:34 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmwrs View Post
Its a big bike to use on a daily basis. So no ...only use mine for sport touring.

It has low miles at 73K
Yeah, these are massive bikes, but I still like being able to use the HOV lanes here in Houston. Congrats on the 73k though! I'm at 45,000, but hope to see well over 100k without any major failures. Has anything major ever happened to yours if you don't mind me asking?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2018, 1:43 pm
Addict

well....not really..had the fuel sensor (tells gauge) replaced although over 10 years old under warranty

Just pay attention to

cam chain tensioner
lube shaft splines
change rear gear oil
and the usual filters air & oil
eliastfk likes this.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2018, 10:55 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmwrs View Post
well....not really..had the fuel sensor (tells gauge) replaced although over 10 years old under warranty

Just pay attention to

cam chain tensioner
lube shaft splines
change rear gear oil
and the usual filters air & oil
Good to hear. I'm going to get to the tensioner and jump guard at the next oil change. I bought a barnett clutch pack that I'm going to throw in at the same time.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 2018, 9:01 am
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliastfk View Post
Good to hear. I'm going to get to the tensioner and jump guard at the next oil change. I bought a barnett clutch pack that I'm going to throw in at the same time.
Would not wait on the chain guard install if it should fail you are done.
eliastfk likes this.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 2018, 2:00 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamweaver302 View Post
Would not wait on the chain guard install if it should fail you are done.
Ok, I just ordered a gasket. I've heard some people say that you need all new clutch cover bolts as well. Is this true?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 2018, 6:29 pm
Noob

Now I own a K1200 RS, The K 1100 was sold. I agree it is a big bike and for short rides not as much fun as a light KTM; The big RS comes into it own on a longer ride, but still the wind noise off the GT windshield is my main complaint- a naked bike is quieter!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in