1200GT vs. 1200RT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2006, 3:31 pm Thread Starter

1200GT vs. 1200RT

I have the RT now and was thinking about getting the GT. What will be the differences in performance, handling, ride, etc. Any experience on this would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2006, 4:26 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blnsfn2
I have the RT now and was thinking about getting the GT. What will be the differences in performance, handling, ride, etc. Any experience on this would be greatly appreciated!
I have ridden the new RT but not the new GT. I do, however, have an 04 GT. The RT seemed lighter to me, more flickable and had a more upright posture. The RT windscreen provided me with a comfy ride and I'm 6'4. The RT seemed pretty powerful, very torquey and had the twin rumble that you're used to.

The GT has noticeably more power, add more to that for the 06 GT and you get the picture. I'd suggest you go ride one if you can find one. But be prepared to buy!!

Best,

Gravity
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2006, 5:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by blnsfn2
Ha, you'll get a lot of opinions here...I came off a '99 RT and have test riden an R1200 and just completed a 2000 mile trip in AZ > Utah > Colorado > Az on my GT.

There is one undeniable fact - there is no comparison between the motors, so acceleration in any gear / top speed goes to the GT. The GT motor is smooth and effortless even at low RPM in top gear.

Handling - a very subjective area... To me the GT handles very, very well, but differently than the RT. It has a slightly longer wheelbase and may be ultimately track better than an RT. Hard to explain unless you rode them back to back... which I have and even so, I couldn't give you a clear winner on the street .

If by ride you mean ergos - i.e. peg/handlebar/seat relationships - it depends. Some may disagree, but IMHO if you're under 5'10" (which I am) you'll experience a slightly more forward lean and the pegs are slightly rearward and higher than the RT. Not dramatically, but noticieable.

If you have bar backs and a russell or mayer seat on your RT (which I did not) then this compounds the issue and you probably won't like the GT on a long run. This is based on two friends who also ride RT's and have sat on (and decided not to ride) or have ridden my GT and commented afterwards.

All in all, I like mine, and would not go back to the RT. But the only way you will know is if you can find one to test drive.

IBA 18417
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2006, 6:28 pm

having owned a '96 1100RT and havinga current 1200GS, i can tell you (and agreeing with Jeff) that i don't think that BMW will sell many more RTs now that the GT is out

same price... better in every way... tons more power, etc
i was wrongly worried about the future of the LT.... but, the RT is really DEAD for now

i have ALWAYS been an "R" kind of guy, but the GT will spell the end of any R-based "sport-touring" bike from BMW for the foreseeable future, i'm quite sad to say
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2006, 6:31 pm
Statmaster

Greg, as we have always come to find out -- there are "boxer guys" and "brick guys". And those guys will continue to buy RTs and LTs. But I'm with you and cannot imagine anyone picking the RT over the new GT. Especially for the $1000 price difference for the HP and torque.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2006, 7:05 pm

Jeff, i know that you remember that i fell in love with BMW bikes because of my '96 R1100RT, so i find this recent development quite distressing, to be honest. As i sit here at the computer i really can't imagine how BMW will make the RT desirable again.
They can't make it more powerful than the GT
They CAN make it more of a touring bike... but, with the "NEW" LT coming out next year (supposedly), that doesn't look likely to happen at all.
So, does BMW stop making the RT for a while and just still to "sporty" bikes and "dual sport" bikes using the 2-cyclinder delight? Jeff, we both know that the "old guard" of BMW will come out of the Black Forest and start a revolution if the RT is shelved for a bit (if not forever).

it really makes you think
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2006, 7:21 pm
Veteran

Chris, a nice write-up. Everything is just so subjective. Clearly the engine on the GT pales the boxer engine, but vive la difference. I have an R12GS and a fun, spirited bike that performs for its intended purpose.

The GT does lack some of the amenities e.g. radio that the RT has and . . . well, wthout a lot of blah, blah, blah, you just gotta ride it. If THIS BIKE, THE GT , doesn't light your fire, well, I just don't know what will! In my very limited riding experience this is by far BMW's best bike (notice I did say limited).

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2006, 7:23 pm
Statmaster

I actually see BMW going for a new growing demographic with the latest bikes, especially the K-series. One just has to look at the K1200S, R, and GT to see that. Even the new R1200S and R1200ST show a little bit of that. But there will always be the traditional BMW buyer who must be satisfied. I believe the RT, GS, and even the LT provide that. Sure, BMW took a big risk with the new bikes, and in some ways, they still have a long way to go -- the new style just doesn't grab me -- but the technology is way above the competition.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2006, 3:17 pm

I am not an expert and my opinions are worth just what they cost. <ZERO>. But I do have limited BMW experience. I first rode an R bike in 1965. I have owned two BMW's, 1989 K100RS-SE and a '04 K12GT.

When BMW brought out the K in 1985 or so they thought the R had hit the end of its development and that the K would be the "next big thing". As we all know, the R bike could not die it just had too many fans. BWM updated it and it rode on. Now the "new K" is here and we hear the same thing, "death to the R-RT".

Before buying my '04 K12GT I spent some time on the R-RT. I really like that bike. It handles so easily and does its job well. It is NOT a bad bike, in fact its a great bike. But reality is the K bikes just kill the R when it comes to smooth and to power. But, even with this being the case I would bet next week's lunch money that, just as in the 1980's, there are enough R bike fans out there to keep the R-RT alive for a bit longer. For many people a BMW is a bike with two big cylinders sticking out on the sides of the bike.

Build a six-cylinder Corvette and see how it sells. Build a four cylinder Harley and try to run that up the flag pole. Somethings, right or wrong, just have to be. I think there will always be BMW's with cylinders hanging out there. The R-RT is one of those bikes.

But, if reason was to prevail, I agree, the new K12GT would be the death of the R-RT.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2006, 9:26 pm

I had been thinking about trading my GL1800 for a R1200RT. A friend told me to hold on, as the announcement for the GT had just hit the press. So I went down to Manhattan BMW and they let me test drive a K1200S (or R?) and an R1200RT.

First, I took out the K1200... Took it onto the highway, and gave it a good workout. Very impressed with it's "zip", etc. Went back to dealer, and got onto the RT. First question was "is this thing out of tune?" Took it out to the street, and within one-half block decided to turn around and take it back to the dealer!

Put my deposit down on the GT. . . . there is just no comparison.

Don Goldberg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode