New Member from Akron, Ohio - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 2019, 7:10 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
New Member from Akron, Ohio

Hello all,

Just rode home on my new to me 2007 K1200GT in the 34F degree Ohio "heat". Thought I'd introduce my bike : 74,000 miles and would like to hear if there are any immediate issues I should look for ? I plan on putting on new tires, clutch, and brake pads - any recommendations?

Much appreciated and I look forward to hearing from you.

Brian "Tebs"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 2019, 2:20 pm
Noob

Run vin

Get your nearest BMW dealer to run a service history of the bike to see if all the fixes have been done. There is a rather large amount of info on this site that a search should bring up suggestions. To many to list here
Tebs likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 2019, 3:30 pm
Rookie

+1 on what dreamwaever said. These bikes had lots of recalls, however they're fairly reliable if the issues have been addressed. The 2 curcial areas are the timing chain jump guard and hydraulic cam chain tensioner. There were also important recalls on the fuel pump assembly and rear hub. Seeing as your bike has made it to 74,000 miles, I would assume most recalls have been taken care of at some point in the bike's history but you should still check ASAP. As far as brake pads and tires go, I have been using the EBC sintered HH compound pads and have no complaints (https://www.beemerboneyard.com/k12la.html). I've been using the Dunlop Roadsmart 2's and 3's for tires and I plan on sticking with those. The pilot road 4's were half decent too, but make sure you get the gt spec tires if you decide to go that route.
Tebs likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2019, 5:53 pm
Noob

Be sure your cam chain tensioner and jump guard has been upgraded
Tebs likes this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 2019, 2:07 am Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
I appreciate your responses. I have dealer and shop service records dating back to 2009 and looks like the wheel flange recall, oil tank recall, relay lever replacement recall, conversion to new brake lines recall , and recall for retrofitting timing chain guide have all been done prior to 2013.

In addition, I ordered Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT and they will be here Friday. Brake pads and slip on muffler (lets face it these stock bikes sound like sewing machines :-) will be here mid next week. Cant wait to ride - Come on spring!!!
eliastfk likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2019, 7:37 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
First project competed, installed 2 new Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT tires plus wash and wax. Next projects are new clutch install, oil and filter change, new brake pads. Should all be done in time for spring ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW 2.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	24185  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2019, 6:52 am
Noob

I think you will like the PR4 GT's. I had the PR3 before and prefer the 4's in every way. You may want to check the lube on the drive shaft splines as well.

2009 K1300GT Blue
1983 CB 1100F Blue
1983 CB 1123 CB1100F Red
1980 CBX-A Black
Blue is Fastest!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2019, 11:35 pm
Addict

These guys here nailed it. And it sounds like you have the major concerns already addressed. I have a Two Brothers slip on and it sounds great. Good weight savings too.
Oh and just for fun...while you have the can off.....run that engine.
Sounds like a GP bike.....wow.

And if you need write ups on the following...I have them
Battery Removal
Booster Plug install
Charcoal Can by-pass
Fuel Tank QDs
Fuel Tank Removal
O2 Sensor Replacement
Stepper Motor Relocation
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2019, 2:50 am

Garage
Tebs,
When you get into that Clutch; See what you have in there before buying anything and what ever you do, it's not necessary to buy new factory stuff. The entire package from Beemer is right around $2000 if I recall correctly. First see if the Basket is bare Alum. or Black. If it's Black, you already have a 1300 Clutch and there will be no gain in buying another one unless the inside rails where the Fiber Plates run are worn and burred up badly. The Black color is Hard Anodizing and was done at the beginning of the 1300 series run to keep these areas from wearing as badly as the bare Alum. Baskets of the 1200s. Hard Anodizing is many times harder then bare Alum. and will last much longer. They also made other improvements like increased oiling and a redone Plate Stack to help release issues.

If you are still suffering with a 1200 Clutch (bare Alum.), go with the 1300 unit COMPLETE. You will need the entire assembly: Basket, Hub, Plate Stack, Oil Pump Sprocket (at rear), and the Throw-out Bearing Rod with the 2 oil grooves. You should be able to find all this for less then $800. If you'd like a new plate stack, a set of Barnetts are less then $150. The guy at Rubbersideup in Texas will know everything you need. I don't known them personally but have bought a bunch of parts from them and haven't been screwed around yet. There are no doubt many other online parts places that may have 1300 Clutches as well. Just shop thoroughly, take your time, and be sure it is complete.

The most important thing at this point is; Does the Clutch Chatter presently? If not, it likely has already been worked on and may have a 1300 unit installed. If it does chatter presently, Do all the above. Don't put it off because the chatter is hammering away at your entire Dive-Line and isn't doing your Transmission any good at all. I have seen that Trans replacement is pretty common with 2nd Gen K-Bikes and I'd say it's overwhelmingly attributable to the Clutch issues.

I also changed out the Drive Shaft to a 1300 version because they added a set of Rubber Cushions in the barrel to help absorb the "Shift Clunk" that still generates from the Clutch Plate's poor release characteristics. You can find 1300 Drive Shafts for under $100. You differentiate 1300 Shafts by the series of oval shaped welds visible on the Main Barrel that locate the tabs holding the rubber cushons inside. A 1200 Shaft is just smooth all over.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2019, 11:53 am
Noob

..me too

Just got a K1200GT too and this was very helpful thanks everybody.

And Welcome aboard!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode