Motorcycle Consumer News First Impressions - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2006, 10:58 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Motorcycle Consumer News - First Impressions

I just received this month's issue of MCN and Dave Searle has written fairly positively on the K1200GT following a press event he attended in S. Africa. His negatives have been somewhat represented here at k-bikes.com and include:
  • the seat
  • the non-linear feel of the brakes
  • the long reach for clutch and brake (even in the handles closest postion)
  • the low-speed twitchy throttle
  • the seat
  • the easily scuffed paint (especially case lids)
  • the lack of "knee room"
  • the "high" first gear
  • the "slab-side" look
  • and did I mention - the seat?

His positives included:
  • the buttery-smooth engine
  • the ESA suspension (although the adjustability is not as "felt" as the "S")

Needless to say, I had been anticipating this review for some time and I'm left a little disappointed.

But maybe Dave's on a "trash BMW" kick? After all he had little positive to say about the R1200GSA as well.

The same issue gives the Suzi M109R Boulevard Cruiser 4 stars, but then again everything in that mag gets at least 4 stars. Their reviews of the K1200S and then the K1200R later would leave one thinking they weren't even close to being the same bike - one naked, one not. So go figure.

I think my subscription will lapse.

cheers,

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"

Last edited by SKIZIKS; May 30th, 2006 at 2:02 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2006, 11:48 am
Statmaster

See my comments in blue
  • the seat -- I'm either breaking it in, or it's broken me in
  • the non-linear feel of the brakes - I don't understand this, but I'm used to servo assist brakes
  • the long reach for clutch and brake (even in the handles closest postion) - Nit, or he has girly hands
  • the low-speed twitchy throttle - play with the throttle cable alignment and this goes away
  • the seat - yeah yeah yeah
  • the easily scuffed paint (especially case lids) - and when was this NOT a problem with system cases?
  • the lack of "knee room" - not a problem for me (low seat, mid bars), easily fixable with peg lowering kit from MV
  • the "high" first gear - Nit
  • the "slab-side" look - Nit
  • and did I mention - the seat? - and the sky is falling and this bike really sucks -- NOT!

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2006, 11:59 am Thread Starter
Veteran

What really gets me here is that I'm convinced the K1200GT has "Bike of the Year" written all over it, but you'd never know it reading Searle.

Like I said, my subscription can lapse.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2006, 12:27 pm

Actually, my subscription did[I] recently lapse, and I don't think I'm going to re-subscribe.

. . . just too much detail about bikes that I don't really care about.

Don Goldberg
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2006, 1:08 pm

• the seat - in cruise mode yes, in sport mode it works fine.
  • the non-linear feel of the brakes - Well , duh, they are servo assisted....
  • the long reach for clutch and brake (even in the handles closest postion)- Must have reaaaaaaly small hands or short fingers
  • the low-speed twitchy throttle - True
  • the seat- See above
  • the easily scuffed paint (especially case lids)- Just the black portion of the case
  • the lack of "knee room"- Must be over 6'4"
  • the "high" first gear-
  • the "slab-side" look- Well. somewhat...
  • and did I mention - the seat?- Ok, so just ride it in the mountais

IBA 18417
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2006, 1:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongold
Actually, my subscription did[I] recently lapse, and I don't think I'm going to re-subscribe.

. . . just too much detail about bikes that I don't really care about.

Don Goldberg
I have also let mine go, I did like the gear reviews and have found some great stuff there that is not well covered in the mainstream mags, however the "4 star minimum in bike reviews" stuff is very irritating, and they don't respond to letters sent to them if they don't agree with the sentiment. (Rather like trying to find a Jeep dealer that doesn't have 5 stars!) Makes rating meaningless......
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2006, 4:55 pm

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisOlson
  • the seat - in cruise mode yes, in sport mode it works fine.
The seat has "modes"!?!? What the hell is that?! It's a frickin seat!

Sorry guys, I think this bike is BUTT UGLY. No amount of hyper-engineering (as much as I am a fan of hyper-engineered cycles!) will compensate in my mind.

When I'm not rockin' @ radio.wazee I'm screamin' around Denver on my 2003 K1200RS!

Click here to view my photo gallery of bike pics!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2006, 4:17 am
htm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiowazee

Sorry guys, I think this bike is BUTT UGLY. No amount of hyper-engineering (as much as I am a fan of hyper-engineered cycles!) will compensate in my mind.
Based on comments I receive every day it's rather good looking or ok - Mine is blue-. But it does look big in people's eyes. Naturally if it's ugly for you don't buy it.

This bike actually has too modes to drive. By raising seat and lowering handlebar you will get more sporty riding position and vice versa you will get touring position. This effects a lot how you "feel" the bike and the seat. In touring mode the front seat is not the best one if you area >180cm tall. By raising the seat it helps a lot. The handlebars in lowest position you may feel the bike a bit heavier to handle in parking area but on twisty road it's lovely.

So far I have my first 1000km behind and what I have noticed is the windshield. I've the lower version and in all positions it generates noise to my helmet (I'm 182cm and helmet is BMW V5). Makes me wonder did they tested it at all. Ordered the taller one and can share the feelings on next week.

BTW. I had K12RS earlier and only thing what was better in the old one was the silk smooth engine. Rubber mounting you know. GT's engine is just smooth (<4000rpm) but sometimes buzzy(4-7000rpm).
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2006, 11:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiowazee

I hate to agree but it is rather fugly....may change my mind after a ride on one but I doubt it....slab is not fab..

"flying through hyper-space ain't like dustin' crops boy"
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2006, 2:43 pm
"DELIVERS"

Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzyboy
I hate to agree but it is rather fugly....may change my mind after a ride on one but I doubt it....slab is not fab..
Don't feel bad...you're definitely not alone....have faith that the factory has seen the error of their ways and will rectify the situation...don't get stuck with the drab slab!

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode