Power commander for K13GT. Autotune or not? - Page 2 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2019, 3:35 am
Rookie

as for a cable.... I'm reading great stuff about this multiplexing unit.... tieCAR.net Company - Products great development of features and bug fixes, more capable than the single manufacturer's feature limited ones and way more affordable at 1/8 of the cost of what BM think you need

I don't think you'll get anywhere looking at the map... its seems to have multiple layers of outright confusion going on to trick the unwary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2019, 9:40 am Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by botus View Post
as for a cable.... I'm reading great stuff about this multiplexing unit.... tieCAR.net Company - Products great development of features and bug fixes, more capable than the single manufacturer's feature limited ones and way more affordable at 1/8 of the cost of what BM think you need

I don't think you'll get anywhere looking at the map... its seems to have multiple layers of outright confusion going on to trick the unwary
This is very interesting info. Even if the map is impenetrable, it would be nice to be able to try a newer software rev. I've emailed tieCar for some pricing info.

EDIT: They've replied to say they don't have anything compatible with the K1300...

Regards
Doug

Last edited by DougM; Apr 18th, 2019 at 5:08 pm. Reason: update.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2019, 4:02 am
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougM View Post
This is very interesting info. Even if the map is impenetrable, it would be nice to be able to try a newer software rev. I've emailed tieCar for some pricing info.

EDIT: They've replied to say they don't have anything compatible with the K1300...

Regards
Doug
As a starting point you could get the vehicle updated to the current software at a BMW dealer, if you have ESA I expect they will charge 45 mins labour, but you might be able to agree 30 mins,

I got mine, a Jan 2010 bike approved used, paid for the factory alarm to be added and asked them to update the software...
It came back saying it was updated (displaying I-level from K024 17-07-500) but every module was on the original software (I have a mate who had one, and his was properly updated in 2014), all that fake I-level is showing was they added a unit. Badly, with no alarm LED in the instrument cluster, and they "couldn't" turn on tyre temp display with ISTAP.

I went home and turned on the tyre temp with Motoscan app, and saw it showing the updated i-level, but with all the old software. Then the rear ABS sensor died (standard DTF) and the traction control when mental. (suspension / rider mode Up button for 1 sec to disable - always press after starting the bike its far better with it off !!!). The BM dealer diagnostic software is wrong and informs them the front has failed. (Mate spend over £1000 and 6 months at 2 main dealers trying to get his resolved - before he had the idea to swap ABS sensor connections to the ECU and found which was at fault). So whilst at a proper dealership and still they took 4 hours of fighting ISTAP ending up changing both ABS sensors to fix it, I asked they update the software....

I've now got a real I-level showing K024 18-03-500 I get just about self cancelling indicators ( its more a time out safety thing but its works - 20 flashes on the motorway and 33 round town), the LED for the alarm in the cluster now operates and the engine software was updated. It is smoother below 4k rpm, but it feels slower above this*, I kept stalling on the way home at junctions (maybe that was adaptions learning the new map... as it seemed to improve and I don't have this issue anymore).

What I did notice is on Europe bikes they are supposed to have (euro measure of octane) 98 octane fuel all the time, running 95 or 97 its exactly the same seemingly a bit more bland running a map from 2014 vs the original 2010 one. *However one company here Shell sell 99 octane fuel and this year trying this was a revelation. Straightaway after filling up the bike was far livelier, happier and faster with 99 (at sea level). And much closer to the power output I thought it had when I bought it, but with the smoother running down the bottom.

euro spec original map 07722566
later euro map 08522505

By the way Pretoria South Africa is pretty high up (and low in humidity) at 2000m (6500 foot), they get 93 octane (euro version of the rating) and 95 at Capetown (sea level). So if you're even higher, factor the bit extra this engine needs because of its state of tune, but don't run the highest possible. Octane slows the burn, but the altitude will already do that for you....

Last edited by botus; Apr 19th, 2019 at 4:25 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 10:35 am Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by botus View Post
As a starting point you could get the vehicle updated to the current software at a BMW dealer, if you have ESA I expect they will charge 45 mins labour, but you might be able to agree 30 mins,
Annoyingly, my closest dealer is not interested in simply updating the software. They want the bike so that they can take off the bodywork and go over everything... I can see that they don't want to update the software if the problem is something else, but I don't want to pay for hours of tech time while they do stuff that I'm capable of doing myself... I would prefer an update first, then see how things go.
doug
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 1:21 pm
Rookie

just say you want an I-level update. And only bother to give your business to one that's happy to do it. As you can see in that video its literally 27 minutes

they are just idiots probably don't know how to do it... the world moved its normal to update stuff these days.... BM just want to sell a new designed to fail in 4 years bike

remapping an old map that was superseded 5 years ago is an odd way to go

ONLY caveat as BM are still backward / criminals... a dealer is supposed to write up what work they did on two systems (most car places are the same) the dealer groups own database so they know exactly all the work they did... and the official BM one they charge you the privilege of updating (but they often can't be bothered) so ANY BMW dealer can access details / history of main work completed. This is about to change with model year 2020 bikes that at last get the intelligent key the cars have had since 2005 !!! Which records all the adaption settings and service history... therefore a dealer MIGHT deliberately blow the brains out of your ABS module because they can see (or can't see) you didn't change the brake fluid at a dealer in last 2 years.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2019, 8:45 am
Noob

Have a power commander V on my k12R, I would never go back to the extreme leaning without it. I don't use an autotune, because the downloadable maps get the job done.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2019, 4:11 am
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1200gts View Post
Have a power commander V on my k12R, I would never go back to the extreme leaning without it. I don't use an autotune, because the downloadable maps get the job done.
I get the sentiment here, almost ANYTHING is better than what BMW provide. The earlier post about a PC being a disaster is not accurate (there may have been other issues with the bike and or a terrible map / installation issues).

My point around PC being a nasty bodge is exactly that. No doubt even done 50% right, it with transform the rideability over the joke mapping BMW offer (with virtually no measurable impact on fuel consumption). But the oil will get dirty quicker, the emissions will be higher than we need and on this bike there is no ignition fix which is the big win.

If we look at ALL the bodge on adaption tweaked remaps (even the Hillside or Brentuning ones !) they still don't rewrite the physical map. Its clearly displayed in all the dyno charts, where we still have the massive chasm in the power curve (where the designed in bodge for a accountant led cheap silencer) works around the noise regs by introducing a deliberate flat spot. This ruins the rideability, comfort, safety and enjoyment we were supposed to have after all the real dev work the engineers put in at the factory.

A significant issue with resolving these faults is owners who believe the world is full of nice people doing a good job and not knowing what's really possible. Thus the fault / blame lies with marketing and communication issues. We need to get owners to understand their enjoyment and safety is impacted by accountants and incompetent senior leaders who only care about their pay packet and fiddling the bonus scheme. (However its wont be easy, as the ones running and others buying BMs new, are the very same incompetent fools underpaying people who could do the job right).

Last edited by botus; Apr 27th, 2019 at 9:44 am.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2019, 1:33 pm
Rookie

had puncture so was in having a chat.... allegedly this will be available for other bikes soon

https://dynojet.co.uk/power-vision/power-vision

Capabilities

Power Vision downloads and stores the stock calibration, and lets you select up to 8 different tunes that are stored on the device, and can be flashed to your bike. The types of tunes include:
•Dynojet Preconfigured Tunes - Tunes for YOUR bike pre-loaded on the device... ready to go, right out of the box. Power Vision identifies your bike’s information and automatically sorts hundreds of applicable dyno proven tunes for you to choose from.
•Custom Tunes – loaded by a custom tuning shop, or received via email and loaded on the device.
•Copy of Original or Copy of Current - a version of the Original calibration that was saved when the Power Vision was married to the ECM. Or a version of the Current calibration that is currently saved in the ECM.

Power Vision provides insightful, valuable information on how your bike is running:
•Display all J1850 and CAN H-D vehicle data as well as wide band air/fuel ratio1and various channels (such as MPG instant and trip MPG)
•AutoTune2 Basic and Pro– AutoTune is built into the Power Vision so you can modify your tune as you ride without using a computer
•Check and clear diagnostic codes
•Reset adaptive fuel trims and idle offset (with bike running)

1When fitted with AutoTune Pro

2AutoTune Basic is included in the Power Vision for use with bikes equipped with stock narrow-band O2 sensors. AutoTune Pro utilizes wideband O2 sensors and requires the AutoTune Pro accessory
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2019, 5:55 am
Noob

Bazzaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougM View Post
But, if I roll on the throttle too quickly in around the 3000 to 4000 rpm range the bike hesitates, pretty significantly. If I really slam the throttle open (not what I do, other than for experiments), then it really struggles.
Just in case anyone is stumbling across this topic. I was really interested in getting a PCV but was looking into all alternatives. I came across https://bazzaz.net/product/bmw-k1300s-09-15/ & after several conversations with them & the sales guy was awesome/honest in telling me that the low end RPMs would not be altered. So, just in case anyone is thinking of buying a Bazzaz for this reason; it's not going to help with the low RPMs. Also, I live at sea level & have this issue.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2019, 4:09 am
Rookie

the dealer I know, was offered the same franchise as the product the USA guy has that charges $800 - (but in a different country), it looks like its a Spanish product (although I thought Italian) and the "re map" come from a bunch of blokes who sit in front of a computer receive your map via email and use some basic maths/algorithms to bodge on a quick 20 second fix / enhancement and post it back.

my dealer said but we won't do that, we'd want to dyno the bike and check its OK / tweak more, the franchiser wasn't interested and they didn't get further

https://translate.google.com/transla...s/&prev=search and whilst one says they do bikes, the uk lot here don't as they didn't get someone to buy the franchise

same product 50% off the USA price https://www.remapper.co.uk/buy-remapper/ yes, "exactly" the same company address is down the road just as my dealer was telling me

another player in the hack your ecu http://alientechsales.co.uk/product-.../k-tag-master/

Last edited by botus; May 6th, 2019 at 4:16 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode