Cruise control, high beam - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 6:09 am Thread Starter
Noob

Question Cruise control, high beam

Noticed yesterday that the cruise control will turn off when i switch the headlight to high beam.
Is this by design, have anyone else experienced this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 1:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by yngveny View Post
Noticed yesterday that the cruise control will turn off when i switch the headlight to high beam.
Is this by design, have anyone else experienced this?

interesting find... I sold mine so can't check. One reason is because cruise is only operable above 35mph. Later LC bikes enable from 8 mph. If you wish to ride at 20 its far better that's fixed and you can spend your time looking for idiot pedestrians than speedo watching

I know they are over the top safety focused on my 335 the adaptive cruise is disabled if you drop traction control to sensible limits… as it is on the LC GS range when you switch to enduro or enduro pro modes … what they completely fail to understand drivers / riders staring at cluster displays and toggling rider modes and options is a million times more distracting than letting them look where they are going
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2019, 5:33 am
Noob

no it shouldnt do that. My guess is you have the dreaded switch failure. I have had 3 left switches so far.
You may be able to get it done for free by BMW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2019, 10:55 am
Enthusiast

Garage
I don't think BMW will cover this one. It is also a $410 part.

2009 K1300 GT
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2005 R1200 RT - gone
2008 Honda CBR1000 RR - gone
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2019, 11:47 am
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF1200RT View Post
I don't think BMW will cover this one. It is also a $410 part.
I had one under warranty, next i paid myself, 3rd one BMW supplied for free way out of warranty.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2019, 1:12 pm

do they really need a switch?

it'll be some tiny resistance change over the can bus, a squirt of ACF50 and operate a few times I wouldn't be surprised if as good as new
also worth having on the latest software and knowing BM its quite likely a software bug rather that just the part
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2019, 2:59 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Figured it was a malfunction of some sort. Had two of my friends with K-bikes test it and they did not have this behavior. But they did tell me they had problems with this switch. One had just replaced it (very expensive yes) and the other tells me his cruise control will sometimes not work at all.

For me the high beam problem is not a big issue, but i might try to open the switch housing and try to clean it with some electrocleaner or similar. May be an easy fix?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode