2008 Brake Failure light, Motoscan codes 5DF0 5DF1 Pump motor: Voltage Supply - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2019, 1:25 pm Thread Starter
Noob

2008 Brake Failure light, Motoscan codes 5DF0 5DF1 Pump motor: Voltage Supply

My 2008 K1200GT turned on the Brake Failure light, constant on during my first ride of the season. I have seen lots of posts with the codes from a GS911, that confirm this is the pump motor brushes.

I am using an OBDLink MX with Motoscan and get codes 5DF0 and 5DF1, both say "Pump motor: Voltage Supply". I have been able to actuate the pump motor a few times, but it is very intermittent.

Can anybody confirm if the 5DF0 and 5DF1 codes are also brush failure?
Module Master lists the codes like this>
Code 24048 (5DF0)
Code 24049 (5DF1)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2019, 2:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhauff View Post
My 2008 K1200GT turned on the Brake Failure light, constant on during my first ride of the season. I have seen lots of posts with the codes from a GS911, that confirm this is the pump motor brushes.

I am using an OBDLink MX with Motoscan and get codes 5DF0 and 5DF1, both say "Pump motor: Voltage Supply". I have been able to actuate the pump motor a few times, but it is very intermittent.

Can anybody confirm if the 5DF0 and 5DF1 codes are also brush failure?
Module Master lists the codes like this>
Code 24048 (5DF0)
Code 24049 (5DF1)
100% standard designed in failure for this module....

the great bit about the K1300GT is the module is to the left of the petrol tank and should take you around 30 mins to get it off the bike vs the 5 hours first time I did it on the GS. Left faring panel off and its just sitting there.... brake fluid will go every where.... I'd probably put it in a plastic back as you remove to collect it all... and make sure a new one is there to collect the drips.

the pump motor needs to come off or if your lazy a small hole and lots of contact cleaner in situ will probably fix it for another 2 years - not sure about USA but you can post to these guys for UK riders - you must enclose the info on the two faults.... those two are generic across BM cars and bikes

https://www.ecutesting.com/product-c...dule-combined/ ABS11 bikes on GS and K series use the same module...

youtube videos if you want to tackle yourself but at 1200 for a new one and 250 for guaranteed repair why bother.... the other point about DIY is how do you re-crimp the motor correctly, not something you want to fall off
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2019, 3:29 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for the reply botus, yes I've got the fairing off already. I'm surprised at how bulky the unit is for a motorcycle, almost identical unit as many cars including BMW.

Ive watched all the videos on self repair, which I plan to do as well. Will report back how it goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2019, 3:52 pm Thread Starter
Noob

BTW thanks for the tip on the plastic bag!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2019, 1:49 pm Thread Starter
Noob

I completed the repair on this a few days ago, had to wait 5 days for a new SKF bearing to show up :-)
All that was needed was to scrape down the brushes a little bit, it was obvious that the brush housing was squeezed just a few mils to tight. A little scraping with pocket knife and they slide in and out perfectly.

https://www.k-bikes.com/forums/attac...=24543&thumb=1
Cleared the 5DF0 and 5DF1 codes with Motoscan, and tested motor actuation. Working perfectly. Bled the brakes, and road tested, ABS is working great again!

One thing that is strange though, is every time I turn the bike on, the panel shows "Brake Failure" until I drive off. Then warning goes out. I have read codes and none are stored. What does this mean? is there something else that needs to be reset?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ABS_motor.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	24543  

Last edited by rhauff; May 27th, 2019 at 1:53 pm. Reason: attached photo
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2019, 7:05 am
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhauff View Post

One thing that is strange though, is every time I turn the bike on, the panel shows "Brake Failure" until I drive off. Then warning goes out. I have read codes and none are stored. What does this mean? is there something else that needs to be reset?
Rest easy. That's precisely what's suppose to happen.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2019, 10:25 am Thread Starter
Noob

I thought the "Brake Failure" light was coming on solid, but checked it again and it is only flashing. You are correct, it is normal for the light to flash until you start driving.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2019, 4:08 pm
Addict

Anyone have a link to those videos? My "Brake Failure" light just started flashing. The brakes work, but man I gotta pull that lever hard now.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2019, 8:23 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Dwsdad, you will need to read codes to find out for sure what’s going on. In my case, brakes felt totally normal, no loss is stopping power. ABS however, was non-functional.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode