New to Forum - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2019, 7:20 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
New to Forum

Not sure what I did wrong but can't find my original post when I joined last week. So here it goes again. New to forum but have been riding for over 30+ years. I have my current (also first BMW) K1200GT for about four years now. Have been lurking and reading in the various forums for a couple of years but recently decided to try to retire full time now and want to fix up the 12GT for some long rides so I decided to register and see what I can do with my possible spare time. If you read my other introductory post thank you and any help you can provide in finding it would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190812_155943_resized.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	24893   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190812_160000_resized.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	24897   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190812_160031_resized.jpg
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	24899   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190812_160056_resized.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	24901  
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2019, 9:02 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
Looks like your post was deleted. You had questions regarding making your bike more comfortable for long runs. I see you have the side air foils on the fairing. That's a good start. I have an 09 13GT that I had to farkle to make it more rider friendly. Added front and rear heated Sargent seats, bar risers, lowering pegs, grip puppies and custom highway pegs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Peg1.jpg
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	24905  

2009 K1300 GT
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2005 R1200 RT - gone
2008 Honda CBR1000 RR - gone

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2019, 11:04 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
Thanks TF1200RT for the feedback, I am on the current waiting list for highway pegs. I am very happy with the areoflow wings and windshield, for now might change my mind after seat mods and addition of highway pegs. I am working with a local custom upholstery shop on getting seats redone with more of a RDL style, the shop is currently swamped with custom car and boat work but hopefully will get me in soon. I have thought about the lowering pegs but did not know if it would affect the cornering clearance, don't think it will as I no longer ride that hard to really worry about that. Being in Idaho I'm lucky enough to be close enough to module masters to be able to take my abs module in for repair to them and pick it up without any shipping worries, the abs module had been out for the last year , with occasional periods of working and then not working. I do have the matching top case just don't use unless on long trips or two up. Would be interested in your opinions on the highway pegs and lowered foot pegs, as I am 6'4" and about 225 you can see why I am interested in more leg room. I use the quad lock with the tank ring mount for my phone/GPS/tunes bluetoothed to a Seana20s.

Last edited by Gregory Towerton; Aug 16th, 2019 at 11:06 pm. Reason: Want to address who the reply is to
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2019, 7:03 am
Enthusiast

Garage
You will still want the airflow pieces after you get the seat. There is a fair amount of turbulence around the fairing without them.When Estrada Designs sends the lowering pegs, he also sends a write up for which lowering pegs to use. this is what he sent me:

"It will depend on the type of front lowering kit you get. There are 3 different types that I know of, Suburban, Verholen, and Wunderlich kits. I have done a modification on the Suburban kit for my pegs, I have not done it on a set of Verholen's, and if you get the Wunderlich set, you will not have to make a modification. I am attaching pics of each and also one of the modification to a set of the Suburbans. On the picture of the modification done to the Suburban bracket you will see a red and a white outline. The red outline shows how the material was taken away from my bracket, this really is not necessary since you will have to remove some material from the Suburban bracket anyway. The amount of material removed would be minimal for clearance at the point inside the red outline. The white outline show where you have to remove material in order for the mounting screw to clear. It is not a hard process and can be done with a handheld grinder".

You may have a hard time finding Suburban Machinery pegs. You may be able to find used ones; I bought the last new set from them 3 years ago . I'll attach the pictures also.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	peg modifymarked.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	24997   Click image for larger version

Name:	suburban lowering kit.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	24999   Click image for larger version

Name:	Verholen k1200gt peg lowering kit.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	25001   Click image for larger version

Name:	wunderlich peg lowering kit.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	25003  

2009 K1300 GT
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2005 R1200 RT - gone

Last edited by TF1200RT; Aug 17th, 2019 at 7:20 am.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2019, 5:27 am
Enthusiast

Garage
Also, if you do use the lowering pegs, there is no adjustment for the foot brake lever (don't even try to adjust because it will cause drag on the rear caliper). What I did was to buy a spare foot brake lever on eBay and I had the machine shop at work heat it and they put a 1" bend in the pedal. Yes, you can heat it but you have to make sure you do it in one step as the metal may break if you do it too many times (that's why you buy the spare). You can see the bend on my first posted picture. It also has a Wunderlich foot extension on it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Peg2.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	25011  

2009 K1300 GT
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2005 R1200 RT - gone

Last edited by TF1200RT; Aug 18th, 2019 at 5:32 am.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2019, 6:21 pm

Garage
Nice bike and Welcome to the forum
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 1:02 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF1200RT View Post
Also, if you do use the lowering pegs, there is no adjustment for the foot brake lever (don't even try to adjust because it will cause drag on the rear caliper). What I did was to buy a spare foot brake lever on eBay and I had the machine shop at work heat it and they put a 1" bend in the pedal. Yes, you can heat it but you have to make sure you do it in one step as the metal may break if you do it too many times (that's why you buy the spare). You can see the bend on my first posted picture. It also has a Wunderlich foot extension on it.
Thanks for the information on the brake pedal, I will keep this in mind if I go with the lowering pegs, there is a welding and fab shop across the highway from where I live so I do have easy access to getting the pedal arm reshaped.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 1:05 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas M View Post
Nice bike and Welcome to the forum
Thanks!!!!!! Working on it !!!!!!! Wrenching is almost another form of therapy but not as good as wind therapy!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode