BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Rebuilding Clutch Basket 07K12GT

7K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  thomaspkeating 
#1 ·
Has anybody tried or heard of rebuilding a rattling clutch basket? Why not drill out the rivets, replace the springs with something a smidge more stout and install new tapered clutch rivets? Would that not take care of the issue, at least for a good while?

Thanx

#2 ·
Interesting, haven't heard of it but it may be a good idea. considering the number of K bikes out there all with the same problem a rebuild-kit or process could would become very popular.

Just replaced my clutch at 86K but left the basket alone. Way too expensive. I pull the clutch in at stop lights if its annoying me.

#5 ·
sharealike1, also known as John Sykes, has a cluster of very informative clutch videos on Youtube. He does a better job of presentation than most and offers individual service, but some have had difficulty getting in touch with him. Well he does have a life and clutch rebuilds might not be all of it.

#8 ·
Can you expand on “clutch is perfect now” please. Watched your video and makes sense to me, although I’m no expert on clutches. Is there any clunk when engaging 1st? Is your bike a 1200 or 1300?

#9 ·
What concerns me with Jarnez' method is the reduction in the number of friction/drive plates in the lamellar pack. Also looking at his clutch basket he has a k12 as the late 2008 k12s and then k13s had a darker coloured modified clutch basket. Also most of the problems with the clutches were related to oil feed issues ie location of lube holes in the basket and the lack of oil due to the design of the thrust adapter (pushrod) BMW changed this design on three occassions to try and sort this. Clutch springs were also found to be 3-4mm too short which contributed to the clutch rattles. They also addressed the issue of the clutch basket getting eaten into by the lamellar pack. I don't think Jarnez' solution addresses all of these issues and it may work for a time but I'm concerned with the longevity of the repair. I would strongly suggest looking at 'sharealike1' on you tube, as Mattias has suggested , for a comprehensive review of the k12's clutch issues.

#11 · (Edited)
rebuilding clutch basket

I had my 2007 K1200gt clutch rebuilt by John Sykes. It was returned to me put together and ready to install. I live in Maryland and we are suppose to stay home and I did for as long as my mental health would allow. We are allowed to come out of lockdown to get groceries and carry out food. So I decided on Wednesday to find a food truck about 100 mile from my home and get lunch. It was the first time I had ridden the bike since replacing the clutch. It was light years better than the original clutch. There was no clunk going into 1st, no shutter,no jack rabbit starts, no grabbing,none of that squeaking during take off. It is nothing short of wonderful to ride. It feels like a different bike. I also have a ST1300 whose clutch has an easy pull and the K1200 still remains a harder pull but as far as operationally the reworked clutch works flawlessly. The turn around time was less than 3 weeks from leaving my door to returned to my door.
The total cost for the rebuild including shipping was less that BMW sells the clutch plates for. If you want your clutch fixed, John Sykes has found the solution.

#13 ·
John has posted his contact info on other forums. It would be helpful to many if you did that here, (unless he asked you not to of course). I agree. He is the go to guy for this bikes problems. He can transform a K12 and does great work on a K13.

#14 ·
The work that John does consists of;
1. Takes both aluminum pieces of the laminar pack and machines the flanges to flat and true.
2. Reworks the lubricating holes to distribute the clutch pack for proper oiling.
3. Replaces the springs in the clutch.
4. Installs new clutch plates which are made special for him. The metal plates are dimpled.
5. Properly aligns the piece the attaches the front a back of the clutch pack.
6. Returns the completed clutch ready to install.
He may do something else but if so I can't remember what it would be.
As far as his pricing you can contact him direct to get a quote.
Hope this helps.
If you decide to do this, you will not regret it.

If anyone is interested in having him do the work and wants to ride while he is doing the work,I have an extra K1300 clutch assembly and all the tools necessary to change clutches along with the K1300 oil pump drive for $500 plus postage. You could send it to John and keep riding until if gets back from England. If you just wanted to upgrade your K1200 clutch to a K1300 clutch, you could do that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.