BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Headlight beam point to sky

4K views 29 replies 5 participants last post by  David Litman 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys and girls, just joined this forum (at last) to pick your brains. The beam of my headlight has gone radically, pointing up into the sky, way beyond fine adjustment. I see that the hex knob (part 2 in the illustration) is missing. I think this was only for fine tuning. Took the bike to a bike mechanic to test the beam for height direction etc and all he could only say was, "its broke".

BMW here in Scotland, sent me their parts diagram of the headlight and said judging by this, the white lever and the hex knob is sold only, integral with the headlight costing, nearly a grand! Ouch!

Perhaps I should mention the bike is an 09, K1300GTSE. I don't know if it has Xenon lights on it and if that was standard on the SE. I do know before the problem above, the light was the best on any bike I've had and as good as my 08, Merc! Is there a simple way to tell the difference, please?

So, has anyone been inside the headlight and knows how the headlight beam could be so wrong, lighting up the sky, please? Is there a fix for this, please?

Thanking you in anticipation.

David

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thank you K1200RT. Never noticed that! Pic speaks for itself. Actually, facing the lamp, the word is top left. However, easy to find once you know its there.

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
Sorry, you are TF1200RT. I see now that the three lamps are mounted on one piece kinda, floating inside a larger piece. As best as I can see, it appears the inner part is pointing at least 1/4" (8 or 9mm if you prefer) north on its horizontal axis. See pic one. Also, is that a bigger than normal gap at the bottom (pic 2)?

So wtf has broke inside to cause this? Is it possible to separate the front lens from the back part that has the adjusters, get inside and see what broke? Is there a spring that has pinged?.

Attachments

#6 ·
Sure TF1200RT. I'm getting on a bit suffer "senior moments' more often than I wish. The only up side is my boys thinks its hilarious.

I have spent some time now devising different ways of asking search engines about this problem and have found nothing. Nothing at all. Not even guidance on how to replace the headlight as a unit. Had this bike six years and have never needed to dismantle any of the fairing, for example.

I'm beginning to think the only course of action is to get stuck in and go for it. But, its summer, I ride it nearly every day. I have no idea how big a job it is.

Here is a pic where I have tried to outline the inner and outer parts.

Anyone sussed this problem out, please?

Attachments

#8 ·
Ok, so. Can anyone tell me whats involved in removing the headlight out of the bike, please? What bits have to come off to do this, please?

Thank you in anticipation.

#10 ·
That is absolutely fab! Many thanks for that. I will attempt to do the lot tomorrow and let you know how it went.

#13 ·
Never knew about MOA. Signed up and what an excellent set of instructions. Well done Semper_Fi. And, thank you TF1200RT for your pointers.

Well, now I have the headlight out and I think I have fully sussed out what has happened and why. Basically, I have lost my knob. Joking aside, the plastic hex adjustment knob thingy has fallen off the shaft and is lost. The bulb holder has sprung up to max as the knob holds it (under tension by a strong spring) in position. Hopefully from the pics, you will see what I mean.

I am gasping for air that there is not a more secure way of holding the lamp holder in place considering the strength of the spring. A cir clip perhaps?

How to fix? It is not possible to extract the shaft as it was put in from inside. I have not seen yet, how to separate the front and back of the headlight to get inside. If I could get hold of the shaft, I could turn a slot for a cir clip or, perhaps even better, cut a thread for a nut.

Attachments

#17 ·
Never knew about MOA. Signed up and what an excellent set of instructions. Well done Semper_Fi. And, thank you TF1200RT for your pointers.
Go to the "Wedge K-Bike" sub-forum on the MOA site. There is a DIY tech section with more helpful instructions. You'll also receive a pretty cool magazine every month and really good discounts on hotels if you travel a lot.

#14 ·
Hopefully, this shows why the shaft can not be extracted.

Attachments

#16 ·
What to check

You can check the coolant level by looking at the expansion tank. Do not remove the cap on the right side of the bike. Check all of your hoses and if you remove the bodywork over the gas tank, check and change the quick disconnects for the gas tank.

#18 ·
"Do not remove the cap on the right side of the bike. " Thats exactly what I was going to do. You saved me! Thanks again.

So, did the above make sense re beam points to sky? Any ideas for a fix, please?

Bike overheated in Italy in trafic jams. It was 30 degrees, plus. Do you think the top radiator has something to do with it, please?

Attachments

#19 ·
That's an oil cooler under the headlight. Don't know how to fix the headlight. With the bike overheating, you may need to clean the radiator fins, check to make sure the fans are working and flush the radiator. You will need a vacuum pump system to flush the radiator correctly. How many miles on this bike?

#20 ·
Hi, 43000 miles. Fan working but rad looks grotty using a torch. Don't have vacuum pump. Might try squirting a hose (not too strong) at it. Might help, a bit. Of course, heat is not a problem in Scotland. Having said that, today is a "roaster" at 24 degrees.

I can not open the headlight. Very frustrating. I can't help thinking this an extraordinary oversight of the design guys. A headlight at £680 for the sake of a plastic knob is crazy. Managed to get a G-clamp in place to hold that adjustment shaft out enough to drill a hole for cotta-pin and washer assembly. Good bye extra dip lever for the heffalump thats riding pillion. Its only ever my wee boy on the back, anyway.

My drill bit isn't good enough for the high quality steel shaft that supports a plastic, push-on knob with nothing solid to stop it falling off. The irony! Have to get a decent drill bit tomorrow. If this route fails maybe, something like a metal guitar knob with a pointed grub screw. I'm knackered.

Attachments

#22 · (Edited)
Problem fixed. G-clamp through left hole for H7 bulb to pull reflector back against the spring and draw adjustment shaft out. Colbolt 2mm drill bit for new hole. Cut down white nylon sleeve to make up for loss of nylon quick flip lever thingy. Add washers to pack out to find level (trial and error) and then the split pin.

3.8 socket with flexi extension out of the ifixit tool set for fine tuning beam height adjustment.

Not very elegant I know. But, I am confident this will last without collars, guitar knob etc, possibly slipping off like the pathetic push fit plastic knob, in the long term.

Attachments

#23 · (Edited)
Earlier stages pics.

Saved myself £680! Well maybe, half that from a breakers.

Thing is, I have champagne taste with a lemonade pocket. The beemer is a luxury product and Deutsch stuff, although good quality and generally excellent design (apart from the shambles, above) costs a bundle of wedge.

I hope my fix will help another K owner who like me, is a JAM (just about managing).

Attachments

#25 · (Edited)
Rather chuffed with myself and equally for your pointer to MOA site. Many thanks TF1200RT. :hail:

Last thing off topic, filled in a signature but can't get it to appear on my posts?

Der!!! Now I can. Must be an admin thing.

#27 ·
headlight headache

I have had the same issue on my 07 1200. I reached in with a pair of needle nose vice grips and pulled the knob back out and added my own homemade wooden shim. Next time, I would remove the fairing and make the job much easier, but it worked.

#28 ·
Hi, did you mean you pulled the shaft that the knob should be stuck on, out and then rammed something in to keep it out (and the beam pointing right direction)? Love to see how the wooden shim worked. The srping in my headlight is so strong, collars, side screwed knobs and the like would quickly slide off.

#30 ·
Had the same problem on my 07 K1200gt... Followed this procedure and it worked fine!

Thank you very much!!!

Andrés
Santiago, Chile.
Excellent Andrés! Thank you for thanking. All the best to to you and yours.

David
Glasgow, Scotland.

Reactions: AndresLang
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.