BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Manual Cam Chain Tensioner Questions.

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  botus 
#1 ·
Hello all. I've got an 07 KGT with about 65k miles. At some point in the bike's life, the cam chain tensioner was replaced with the upgraded BMW unit (Black cylindrical unit). I've owned the bike since it had 40k on it without any issues however, I'm going to have to leave the bike sit for 8 weeks very soon. I'm strongly considering replacing the cam chain tensioner with a manual unit from APE or PSR before I leave because I'm nervous that the factory upgraded hydraulic unit will dry out. Are my fears reasonable?

#2 ·
I'm going to have to leave the bike sit for 8 weeks very soon. I'm strongly considering replacing the cam chain tensioner with a manual unit from APE or PSR before I leave because I'm nervous that the factory upgraded hydraulic unit will dry out. Are my fears reasonable?
No need to worry. The hydraulic cam chain tensioner will pump right up once the bike is started. Many people let there bike (myself included) sit for month(s) without any problems.

#4 ·
I went through at least three of the BMW tensioners on my 2007 K1200GT. At least two of them were the newer model. They all failed. When the last one was rattling like crazy, an expert friend came by and installed an APE tensioner, which fixed the problem.

Now the rattle is back (bad!), and I need to adjust the APE tensioner. It should be simple, really, but I have not done it before. There is a first time for everything, I suppose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.