BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Bike is dead

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  emin7th 
#1 · (Edited)
ECU crash

The other evening I was driving along the motorway and inexplicably the bike (k1200gt 2007) just completely cut out with EWS on the dash. No matter what i did it wouldn't start or even turn over. The next day I trailered it to the BMW dealer and he tells me he cant find the fault, he initially thought it was the ring around the ignition key but that isn't the case. he now thinks the ECU might need replaced. Has this ever happened to any members and is there way out of this expensive problem.

#2 ·
The chance of the BMSK loosing the encrypted key data is close to zero.
But, knowing how BMW dealerships make money i'd say that they will sell you even their mothers to make money off of you.
Check the cable going to the ring antenna.... a new BMSK will cost you around 1200$+
And, try your spare key, if you have one.

#4 ·
The BMSK is your engine controller.
Can you recount what exactly happened, when the bike cut out?
Because the bike turning off while riding is usually a faulty ignition lock.
Some people have got too much clutter hanging on the key, causing the ignition key to wobble/vibrate inside the lock wearing out the contacts.

At the moment the engine turned off, did the speedo reboot without turning the key?

Do you have a BMW alarm system fitted?

#5 ·
Another thing that can trigger an EWS warning is having other chipped keys on your keyring. Although the range of the ring antenna is quite short, I've had my bike behave strangely when I first insert the key if I have also the key from my 2002 BMS 325xi right next to it. Separated the two keys and didn't have another EWS issue from then on.

#6 ·
I also have a 07 and this happened to me once. I had been riding I 80 from NorCal to Yellowstone on a very, very hot day - about 110. I'd had the bike from 75 to 80 mph for 7 or so hours, and as I started to decel to exit the freeway in Wells, Nevada, the bike just cut out. It was like the ignition had gone off. I got the EWS on the dash. I pulled in the clutch and coasted to a McDonalds parking lot. The bike was unresponsive, so I just went into McD, took off my gear, cooled off, and called my shop. They walked me through a series of things to try. I would try something, then hit the starter button, but nothing. We went through a series of attempts. I can't recall all the things we tried, the only one I can recall was to remove the tank bag and open the gas cap. I remember it because as soon as I did that, the bike turned over and ran fine.

It's never done it since. I have no idea what caused it, no idea if the gas cap thing fixed it, or if it was just coincidence. All I know is that before every ride I ask the bike nicely not to leave me stranded somewhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.