BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

ABS III motor

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  ernie1969 
#1 ·
Hi Guys, Faulty ABS unit on my 2008 K1200GT, main dealer diagnosed low pressure at pump motor (rear). They wanted €2650 to replace the unit.. dont want to pay that! I decided to strip down the unit and have a look, Ive attached some photos of dismantled pump motor. Lots of black soot everywhere and brushes are worn down twice as much as the other pump motor (front)
Im not too well up on electric motors like this, it was still running as I tested it before removing but in this condition would it be likely to be intermittent under pressure or failing for some other reason? Any input appreciated. Thanks.
John

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
First off, are you sure that your bike is from 2008?

Because from 07 onwards all R, S, and GT models have got the new ATE ABS unit, which has only one pump motor.

You are describing a fault that is from an 05-06 Servoassisted brake system. Low pressure indication "Front" or "Rear" is either from having an air bubble in the system or because of a faulty pressure sensor.
Each sensor is a ceramic plate at the opposite end of the hydraulic unit. Prone to fail.... other people have had water destroy the circuit board.
Worn down brushes are obviously not good, but as long as the pump motors are running, there shouldn't be a problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.