BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Looking for advice on 2008 K1200GT

13K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  aj7840 
#1 ·
Looking to puchase a 2008 k1200GT with 32,000 miles... any advise/cautions?

#3 · (Edited)
what he's not saying is the K1300x models fixed all of the problems of the 1200 series. There are three updates you need to do to the 1300; make sure the rear hub flange has been replaced, there is a software update for the idle problem and the fuel pump flange needs the collar on the inlet of the pump. Fixes one and three are done by the dealer as a recall from BMW.

#4 ·
The K1200GT model had a serious problem with its air box and driveability. Many folks never could get their bike running properly. If you have it (or any newer K bike) serviced at the dealer it is the second most expensive BMW to have serviced behind the K1200LT series. It eats tires like any other K bike. The above advice to get a K1300S is as good as gold. But be prepared for maintenance costs or do the work yourself. Any 09 through 15 would be wonderful. If you can't ride it for 20 minutes don't buy it. I know this makes it difficult but work it out.
I have an acquaintance who owned two of them, his wife's was ok but his was in the shop all the time with no good outcomes. He sold them both for FJR's.

#7 ·
K12,000 in to a 4K (08)

Most will call me dumb for being determined to fix a bike I love, yes it "had" problems but I could not trash the bike. My hobby is restoring vintage hot rods and classic cars with most of those projects it cost way more than they will ever be worth to restore them. But I do not care what it is worth just if I like it and that's I care about.

#8 ·
I owned a 06 K1200GT. It had the fueling problems until the airbox was finally swapped out. I loved the bike until the 09 1300GT came out and solved all of those problems. i loved the ergonomics and it fit me much better. I am in my 10th year of ownership and love this bike. It only has one minor problem. The fuel system needs to be cleaned every other year. Otherwise , sometimes the bike will stall while shifting down to 1st gear. I have learned to automatically keep my hand on the throttle while downshifting.

Great bike. Too bad they discontinued it to go to the 1600GT. Unfortunately, that put added weight onto the bike. At 82, I do not like horsing this 600 lb bike around in my garage or at very low speeds. I have even done a slow dump a couple of times over the years. Maybe asccoter is on the horizon in a few years !!

#10 ·
I’ve owned my 2008 GT for 11 1/2 years now and have 60K miles on it. Its been cross country twice, gone from Maryland to Alaska and back and many places in between. The 2008 model fixed the airbox problems. I’ve had all recalls done. The only issue I’ve had is one of my front wheel bearings went bad. No ABS, cam chain tensioner, fueling issues, etc. It’s been bulletproof. Based off my experience, I’d recommend getting it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.