New To Me '09 K1300GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Oct 28th, 2019, 2:34 pm Thread Starter
Noob

New To Me '09 K1300GT

Hello All,

I have had my wonderful 2005 R1200RT for going on 12 years. Since i bought it, it has racked up 84,000 miles on the clock. Since my K1200R Sport is now sitting at Motorado in Denver for sale at a great price, I have pulled the trigger on a 2009 K1300GT with 34,000 miles on the clock that is sitting in a BMW car showroom in St. Louis for an extremely attractive (get this thing out of here because we are car dealers) price. I simply couldn't pass it up. I did my homework with the VIN and checked the majority of the dealers that were listed in BMW's system. Most of the work was done at Gateway and it looks like all is well.

I have loved my RT for many years, and can't bring myself to part with it now. I am sure that at some point, it will be moving down the road. But, I am looking forward to getting this new to me machine this week (after the snow finishes).

Since all the recalls are done, and the firmware is basically up to date, it would be nice to know about the following add-ons that will make the bike more mine. Perhaps some seasoned owners of this bike can help me with which versions of the following add-on are the best and most economical to get and any information that you would find pertinent:

Bar Risers

Frame sliders (or engine guards - which ever works best) - First priority

bag protection - First Priority

Highway Pegs

Peg Lowering

I have the majority of these items on my RT. So, it seems reasonable that I may need some or all. Also, two more long shot questions:

1) The color of this GT is candy apple red. Can someone tell me if the color is similar to the '05-'06 Piedmont Red on the RT? This may sound silly, but I was thinking about starting out by installing my RT side cases that have war scars on the GT until I get use to it, just in case the bike has a tip over. The GT cases are spotless.

2) Any owners of the GT that have installed iridium spark plugs? If so, do you know the part number for the K1300?

Any additional advise would be helpful.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 28th, 2019, 5:35 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
First of all, we have the same story. I started with a 2005 RT and put 109,000 on it before it broke a u-joint on the transmission side. I bought my 2009 K13GT with 10,000 on the clock. It is also candy apple red (not the same as the Piedmont). As far as add-ons, I did bar risers, Sargent heated front and rear seats, lowering pegs, highway pegs, Motolights and Hyperlights. Did not add frame sliders because you have to drill the fairing. As far as highway pegs, the only person that makes them is a guy in New Mexico (Estrada Design Ventures - roto pegs) and he only makes them in limited runs. The plugs can be ordered from Beemerboneyard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1st Day - Nov 19.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	457.3 KB
ID:	25517   Click image for larger version

Name:	Peg1.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	25519  

2009 K1300 GT
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2005 R1200 RT - gone
2008 Honda CBR1000 RR - gone

Old Oct 28th, 2019, 7:51 pm Thread Starter
Noob

How much are they highway pegs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 29th, 2019, 1:19 am

Um, lemme get this straight.... you haven't bought the bike yet (but you've done your homework, which is good) and you're already buying farkles? Maybe you should ride it first. A Kbike is not an Rbike, not by a long shot.

Having done said homework, you know that the 2010 models incorporated a number of fixes the 09 models needed.

How much you gonna pay, anyway, so we can all be jealous?
Old Oct 29th, 2019, 4:45 am Thread Starter
Noob

I did buy the bike. It is being picked up in St.Louis today for delivery tomorrow evening (or thurs. am) in Denver (depending on the weather). When I said I did homework. I meant checking out the history of the bike itself and what had been done to it, since the auto dealer that sold it to me didn't have a clue except for the paperwork that they had, and the internet manager really isn't a motorcycle enthusiast.

My first choice was a '10 as most would expect. Even though the bike is an '09, the cost and condition of the bike (I was provided with a video walk around of the bike that gave me a good idea about it. It has the premium package) made it too good of a deal to pass up.

While similar models were selling locally for around 7,000.00, the dealer offered it to me for 4,000.00 plus a 199.00, document prep service fee (basically a markup). They simply didn't want it in their showroom.

I don't know about you, but based on what I have found, that represented a very attractive offer. So, I took them up on it. After the 4,200.00, and 500.00 for transport (inside a carrier), the actual cost was 4,700.00 plus tax and tag.

With regard to farkles, I am mainly interested in items that are going to protect the bike in case of mishap, and also add to my long distance comfort. Since I have already taken a k1300gt on a half day ride, I was pretty convinced about the items that would prove to be beneficial to my comfort. The iridium plugs are for the purpose of extending the mileage interval of replacement mostly. I have them on my RT, and it was a great choice to make. Since the bike already has 34300 miles on the odo, that 60000 km service will be coming up soon. So, just planning ahead.

With my 61 year old body, and the surgeries that I have had lately, I know what items need to be addressed for me. I would only buy what I need of course. Hopefully this answers your question.

Last edited by rglassma; Oct 29th, 2019 at 4:52 am.
Old Oct 29th, 2019, 8:11 am
Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu View Post
Having done said homework, you know that the 2010 models incorporated a number of fixes the 09 models needed.
What fixes? The '09 and '10 model have all of the fixes that the 2006-2008 suffered from.

2009 K1300 GT
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2005 R1200 RT - gone

Last edited by TF1200RT; Oct 29th, 2019 at 3:55 pm.
Old Oct 29th, 2019, 8:13 am
Enthusiast

Garage
They were $368.00 shipped at the time I bought mine. May seem a little pricey, but it was worth it. I've had mine for about two years now.

2009 K1300 GT
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2005 R1200 RT - gone

Old Oct 29th, 2019, 9:03 am Thread Starter
Noob

That is not unusual. I wonder how strong the arms are in case of the bike falling over on them.
Old Oct 29th, 2019, 3:52 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
If they are rotated in the up position, they tuck in behind the fairing. If the are extended, they rotate. The idea is not to drop the bike. They also are not meant to stand up on.

2009 K1300 GT
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2005 R1200 RT - gone

Old Oct 29th, 2019, 5:00 pm
Addict-oholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF1200RT View Post
If they are rotated in the up position, they tuck in behind the fairing. If the are extended, they rotate. The idea is not to drop the bike. They also are not meant to stand up on.
I have had these highway pegs since Ken started making them 5 or 6 years ago. Love them and they are better protection for the bike when it is dumped.
My only problem, recently, is that the screw holding the peg to the arm fell out on my right side. I have written ken for a replacement or exact size with no response in 2 weeks. I guess, i will have to do a trial and error trying different screws and bolts to see what fits. It is hard to check the other side unless I can get the bike raised up.

Love the bike since I got it new, replacing the 2006 model. It is more nimble than it looks. i took it to the tail of the dragon 3 years ago. And I am 82 and still doing about 8K a year in the NorthEast
Juha Miikkulainen likes this.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in