What Tools Should I Get? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 9:03 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

What Tools Should I Get?

Iím awaiting delivery of my 2009 K1300GT and am wondering what basic tools I should have that standard mechanic set doesnít cover. A cross example would be having JIS drivers for a Japanese bike.

Does anyone have suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2020, 12:18 am

Most of the readily accessible fittings - fairing, muffler, etc. - are stainless steel internal Torx buttonhead screws. Thus, you'll need several Torx drivers, T25 being the most common. You can get either screwdriver type or 1/4" drive socket-type drivers. Going deeper, a set of 3/8" drive metric sockets, ratchet driver, breaker bar. There are few fasteners (I think) that won't be dealt with by the sockets and a couple Torx tools. These are inexpensive but get quality stuff so you aren't left hanging when/if it breaks (as I have had happen). DON'T go to Walmart and get Stanley brand anything. Although in days gone by they were a respected name, that is in the past. Sure, you can get by, but don't say you weren't warned. Craftsman, and the stuff from Lowes or Home Depot is pretty good. Snap-on and Mac are reedonkulous expensive and made by the same Chinese factories that make other brands. Sometimes a good deal can be had buying used stuff on craigslist, ebay or similar, if you carefully inspect before you buy.

A torque wrench is handy if you're a careful sort, or don't trust your calibrated arm; the 3/8" drive type is what I'd suggest, click style or beam type is up to you, cost is significantly different.

A set of tire irons plus rim protectors will be useful, also a means to break the tire bead, IF you plan to change your own tires. I used a 11-foot section of 1.5" pipe with a chunk of 2x4 to break the beads on my tires.

If you plan or expect a dive into the clutch, there are a couple BMW-specific tools but sometimes you can borrow those.

A factory (or copy of) the rep-rom is good, but be aware that it's apparent only function is to take stuff apart and put it back together in the approved sequence. There is nearly nothing on it for diagnostics, or functional descriptions.

A bookmark to the factory parts diagram, specific to your VIN, should be on your computer/phone. Knowing the significant parts suppliers is handy, though prices don't vary much.

After the above, a bit of elbow grease is always useful. You won't need blinker fluid or smoke to refill the electrical system. AFAIK the electrical systems were pretty sorted AFTER 2009. Make sure the bike you get has had all appropriate recalls performed.

Others will chime in, bring it on, I'm listening too.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2020, 4:31 pm
Enthusiast

To be honest, when I got my 06 K12S I put a tool kit together. I have never used it! One can look at it as having insurance along with you.
When I got my GS, all it had was a "double" screwdriver, and two other items that I can't remember. So here's my take, be sure you have
a tire repair kit on the bike at all times. Can't tell you how many times that has allowed me to get home. The one tool that I added to the
GS is a pair of long nosed pliers to make it possible to remove nails etc. from a tire. If routine maintenance is completed, there just isn't
much that one could accomplish on the road to fix a modern bike and fortunately the likelihood of that has become pretty remote! Except
for tire repair.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2020, 6:09 pm

Right jpel, the onboard kit, sparse as it is, covers most of what an owner would do on the road. It doesn't have much... but the tire repair kit is a good idea. I've had one slow leak in 15 years, maybe I'm lucky and should carry a repair kit so I don't have another.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 2020, 12:31 am

Only tools I carry on the bike are tubeless tire repair stuff. If it takes more than that you are screwed. If I get into trouble that is serious, I just go buy what I need on the road. Only happened once in many years of bmw riding, crashed.
Now at home that is a different matter. You will need a full set of torx sockets up to 55. Torx screwdrivers down to T8 through T30. Special long reach torx for odd jobs. When you run across the need order it on EBay.
My personal theory is not to buy cheap unless you are going to cut it up or weld on it. 55 years, I have tons of tools. Odd ones like a bent wrench for GM distributors, magnetic socket with two arms on it for the nuts on the back of the old VW air cold engines. It gets sick looking through my tool drawers. A handy one is the front axle multi size male thing that you get at dirt bike shops to stick in the right side of the front axle and turn it.
Don't cheap out on torque wrenches, it really takes three. a 1/4" drive, a 3/8" drive and a 1/2" drive with the relevant range on them.

Mount Vernon, WA.
tire guy, I'll mount your tires.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 2020, 11:07 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the info.
Iím primarily asking about tools for in the garage. From there I can pair down what to take on the road.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2020, 6:22 pm
Rookie

A set of front and rear axle stands if you don't already have them

It's so nice to be insane No one asks you to explain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode