Motor Oil Selection K1300GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Honolulu

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2020, 3:26 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Motor Oil Selection K1300GT

When it comes to the K1300GT, what motor oil does everyone like?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2020, 4:06 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
Engine oil - Castrol Racing 4T 5w40
Final drive -SAF-XO 75w90

2009 K1300 GT
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2005 R1200 RT - gone
2008 Honda CBR1000 RR - gone

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 2020, 3:27 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Ordered the same for the engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 2020, 5:32 am
Noob

Garage
Dear Noob,

Awesome Bike!

The Manufacturers Guide or a Reputable Oil From Motorex to Valvoline could be what the Doctor ordered.

You also have some mitigating factors: Environment, Type of riding, Weather, and AVAILABILITY.

I don't see a Tag on where you live.... but if you clue the members in as to where you live, a much more objective suggestion may be had!

Example: I live in Thailand. So a Multiple Viscosity is not critical. I also run full throttle and avoid city driving. But, in all fairnes..... I am limited by availability and what is imported at a relatively high cost.

Synthetic gives me the best performance, low viscosity break down at the higher ambiant temperatures as well as higher operating temperatures. If the stars align just right I may be gifted with Mobil 1 full syntehetic in a 10W50.

If I was in Europe or back in the USA, I would have more choices and avialability.....but then I'm probably back to seasonal riding and my selections would vary through Spring, Summer and Fall.

I hope this helps, great machine as I once owned the 2007 1200GT. Ride ON Noob!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 2020, 9:24 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradmiester View Post
Dear Noob,

Awesome Bike!

The Manufacturers Guide or a Reputable Oil From Motorex to Valvoline could be what the Doctor ordered.

You also have some mitigating factors: Environment, Type of riding, Weather, and AVAILABILITY.

I don't see a Tag on where you live.... but if you clue the members in as to where you live, a much more objective suggestion may be had!

Example: I live in Thailand. So a Multiple Viscosity is not critical. I also run full throttle and avoid city driving. But, in all fairnes..... I am limited by availability and what is imported at a relatively high cost.

Synthetic gives me the best performance, low viscosity break down at the higher ambiant temperatures as well as higher operating temperatures. If the stars align just right I may be gifted with Mobil 1 full syntehetic in a 10W50.

If I was in Europe or back in the USA, I would have more choices and avialability.....but then I'm probably back to seasonal riding and my selections would vary through Spring, Summer and Fall.

I hope this helps, great machine as I once owned the 2007 1200GT. Ride ON Noob!

You make a lot of good points however,
I didnít ask anyone to tell me what I should put in the bike. I asked what everyone likes.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 1:51 am

I wanted to think you could have used the Search function, where you'd have found already the answer, but apparently Math isn't the only thing that is is Hard. So, Barbie, read this, from years and years ago:

https://www.k-bikes.com/forums/43-k12-1300gt-next-gen/24698-oil-use-k130gt.html[/url]
Sodak likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:14 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu View Post
I wanted to think you could have used the Search function, where you'd have found already the answer, but apparently Math isn't the only thing that is is Hard. So, Barbie, read this, from years and years ago:

https://www.k-bikes.com/forums/43-k12-1300gt-next-gen/24698-oil-use-k130gt.html[/url]

Oh look, a nine year old thread. There couldn't possibly be any other answers than what is there.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 4:23 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
nine year old thread, bike out of production for nine years.

BMW manual lists recommended, however I like Amsoil, Motoul, Castrol, or whatever motorcycle specific synthetic I can find, I usually change oil about every 3500 miles, will go to 5000 if on a longer trip.
Really frequent oil changes with motorcycle specific synthetic oil is all you need to worry about.

My air cooled 1984 Yamaha FJ1100 had 108,000 miles on it when I sold it and compression was still in spec. and surprisingly the valves only need new shims once at about 80K, but I changed oil & filter ever 3000 miles.

My track bike gets fresh oil every other track day, but it lives hovering at the rev limiter the whole time. (that oil goes to the lawn tractor, which sprays for bugs when its running)

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 4:28 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Sprays for bugs...awesome.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 2:31 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj7840 View Post
nine year old thread, bike out of production for nine years.

BMW manual lists recommended, however I like Amsoil, Motoul, Castrol, or whatever motorcycle specific synthetic I can find, I usually change oil about every 3500 miles, will go to 5000 if on a longer trip.
Really frequent oil changes with motorcycle specific synthetic oil is all you need to worry about.

My air cooled 1984 Yamaha FJ1100 had 108,000 miles on it when I sold it and compression was still in spec. and surprisingly the valves only need new shims once at about 80K, but I changed oil & filter ever 3000 miles.

My track bike gets fresh oil every other track day, but it lives hovering at the rev limiter the whole time. (that oil goes to the lawn tractor, which sprays for bugs when its running)

So youíre not experiencing any better or worse when using different brands?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode