Dark side rear tire - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2020, 11:14 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
Dark side rear tire

Has anyone put a car tire on the back of a K 1300 GT?? … Typically known as going to the Darkside. Constructive comments only please, I’ve had enough of being called a fool from the BMW MOA site
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2020, 12:01 am
Enthusiast

You may get the same treatment here.
https://www.morrisonfirm.com/dangers...n-motorcycles/

Mount Vernon, WA.
tire guy, I'll mount your tires.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2020, 7:20 am
Enthusiast

Garage
It's really only practical if you are running a sidecar rig. Use a Michelin PR4GT. I got 18,000 miles out of mine (really).

2009 K1300 GT
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2005 R1200 RT - gone
2008 Honda CBR1000 RR - gone
2004 Honda CBR600RR - gone

Last edited by TF1200RT; May 18th, 2020 at 10:35 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2020, 8:09 am Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
What the lawyer said on that website is exactly what you expect to hear from the lawyer. If you’ve ever looked into putting a car tire on the back of a motorcycle, you would’ve seen multiple videos with motorcycles riding through corners in the mountains at speed. There seems to be no issue in going from one corner to the other, the crossover is seamless with issue with handling. I’ve seen videos with the GoPro Mounted on the rear of the bike aimed at the rear wheel showing the road contact… And there seems to be actually more rubber on the road than there is with a conventional motorcycle tire, even in the corners.
I am not a novice rider. I’ve got more than 300,000 miles on 14 bikes Of all kinds over 42 years. I was just wondering if anyone had put a car tire on the back of a K 13 GT without having a Sidecar attached
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2020, 3:15 pm
Enthusiast

Hey Dave,

Also take a peek over at the Iron Butt website. I won't say lots, but several guys will run a car tire on the rear for long distance riding, although they would probably spend most of their time on the super slab. I saw one up close and in person on the back of an FJR; accompanied by an IBA sticker on the hard luggage of course !!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2020, 3:20 pm
Enthusiast

Geez. I just had a read of that article from the "Law Firm".

One of the paragraphs begins with this sentence: [QUOTE]: Most motorcycle accidents are devastating.

Seems like a little presumptuous statement.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2020, 5:59 pm
Noob

In addition to my K1200GT, I've got a Goldwing 1800. I put a Michelin Alpin run-flat tire (which is actually a snow tire) on the rear of the Goldwing and have been happy with it. However, I don't know that the K1300GT has the fender clearance required. You really need to measure that before making the plunge. My Michelin barely fits (deflated) and mounting it was a challenge at the motorcycle shop (who was promised anonymity and was paid in cash, no receipt). You'd also need to know which tire mates with the rim of the K1300GT. There are enough Goldwing users that I had plenty of advance advice.

It also depends how you ride the bike, too. If you're using the K1300GT as a canyon carver, then you might be happier sticking with a conventional sticky motorcycle tire. I use my Goldwing as a long-distance cruiser, mostly on the super-slab, where the car tire is at home. When I replaced tires on the K1200GT, I went with a motorcycle tire. The car tire requires a little more tip-in pressure on a turn but I've never felt it was a problem. You've probably seen the Goldwing rider with a car tire doing the Tail of the Dragon in Deal's Gap way faster than I would dare.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2020, 5:12 pm
Noob

Why would you do that? Just curious

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode