2008 K1200GT ABS Rear Brake Issue - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2020, 12:05 pm Thread Starter
Noob

2008 K1200GT ABS Rear Brake Issue

A few years ago, a small rock got stuck in my in rear caliper causing the rear wheel to eventually lock up. Unfortunately, there were no fault indicators warning me of the problem. I had to replace the pads and rotor. After installing the new parts, the ABS system kept engaging and not releasing the rear brake. Using the GS 911, I was able to use the ABS diagnostics and clear the problem. All seemed to be functioning properly. Unfortunately, the problem occurred again a year later where it was obvious that the rear brake was engaging and not releasing. This time the caliper showed signs of excessive heat with the aluminum piston partially melted. Replaced the caliper, rotor and pads a second time. Flushed the system in accordance with BMW procedures. The brakes appeared to be fine, but ran into the same problem last week. Again, no fault alarms indicating any problem. I noticed the bike dragging in 5th gear and could smell the burning brake pads. Obviously, the first occurrence had an assignable cause with the embedded rock. Not sure where to go from here. Could the ABS pump been damaged the first time around? What could be causing this scenario further upstream from the rear caliper (brake line, master cylinder, abs module, abs pump)?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0455.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	626.1 KB
ID:	26807  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2020, 5:49 pm

Did you replace the piston seals? It it these that return the pistons back inboard when when the brake pressure is released. They may have lost their ability to function under the excessive heat and cannot withdraw the pistons.
It’s also possible that the slider pin is damaged or needs lubricating.

It's so nice to be insane No one asks you to explain

Last edited by Capt howdy; May 21st, 2020 at 5:53 pm.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2020, 9:02 pm Thread Starter
Noob

I didnít the first time, replaced the entire caliper with a low mileage used one the second time. I am planning to replace all the seals this time around.

Tags
abs, brakes, lock, rear

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode