BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Gear box dead on handover

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  BigBadAd 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I've been lurking in the forums for quite some time and finally decided to register. Yesterday I picked up my shiny new K1200GT SE and managed a total of 50 miles before I had to have it recovered through BMW emergency services.

Looking back on it I should have ridden it straight back to the dealer after the first couple of miles but isn't hindsight a wonderful thing.

The bike was fantastic, everything I wanted and anticipated except for the intermittent non-ability to change down the gears. The selector jams at the bottom of the gear selection and doesn't spring back up. Trying not to load the engine at low revs whilst running in and being unable to get out of 6th gear is a pretty big problem. A couple of times I coasted to a complete stop and then worked the selector at the side of the road so as not to put stress on the bike. At that point I had it recovered. It was dangerous to ride.

I've had 3 new bmw bikes over the last few years and never had a single issue with a brand new bike. I hope this turns out to be a one off and the rest of you don't have to go through this.

I'm still waiting for my dealer to get back to me and let me know the prognosis. I'm in two minds about the whole thing. On one hand it would be nice if they replaced the full gear box so that I know its going to be fully OK and on the other hand I hope its a small selector problem which can be fixed quickly and easily with no long drawn out delays. Ah well c'est la vie.

See less See more
#2 ·
I wonder if the shift adjustment on the linkage was not properly set. It might be as simple as that.

Wishing you luck on getting back on the road soon.

#3 ·
Fantastic news! The bike is fixed and I get to pick it up today. :ricky

It turns out that the bush holding the gear selector into the gear box was too tight from the factory and it appereared that the more I used it the more the bush deformed and tightened. So they have replaced the bush and all is apparently working well. Thankfully the rest of the gear box is spot on so I hope its just a one off.

I suppose one good thing has come of it. If any of you guys come across this you know where to start looking. :D

Ad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.