600 mile first service - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2006, 5:38 pm Thread Starter

Talking 600 mile first service

Hello

This is my first post. I have been reading through most of the forum and was wandering could someone give me a little advice.

I have just purchased a 1200 GT SE and the dealer has told me that they cannot complete the first 600 mile service for another week and there is no other BMW garage nearby. Anyway enough of the rambling

Q1.. If I run the bike over the 600 mile service to about 1200 miles, will I do any harm?

Q2.. What is involved in the 600 miles service? I can change the oil and filter myself but the dealer as said that this would validate my warranty and there is more to the service than just a oil and filter change.

First impressions of the 1200 GT are very good. I do have some concerns about the fuel injection, it is very snatchy at low speeds. I have taking advice from the forum and adjusted the throttle cable and this has improved but it is still far from perfect. The gearbox also takes a bit of effort to change gear, hopefully this will improve through time. Also the handling is very good but I do not seem to be able to feel what the bike is doing in the corners and it is more trust than comfort of knowing what is happening to the bike. This is my first BMW so maybe I just need to get more used to it. The first time I rode the bike I though the front tyre was flat. My previous bikes have all been sports bikes, my last bike was a Kawasaki ZX10R. Other than that I am very happy and am looking forward to many happy miles, 600 so far. Do I lock the bike away for a week?

Many thanks in advance Ian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2006, 6:13 pm
Addict-oholic

Of course, you can go to 1200 miles for the first service, and yes, you can do the filter and oil yourself. You would not be voiding the warranty if you do the work, and you keep a record of it. I think the rest of the first service is bull shit. I had it done last week, and got charged $160 plus oil and filter. Oh, and I got a wash "compliments of BMW". And yes, since my fuel warning light was on when I brought it in, they gave me 2 gallons of gas "compliments of BMW"

It is the besat bike I have owned, and just coming from a 2002 KRS......more nimble and handles easier and the riding position is better. The seat may need replacing tho!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2006, 10:06 am

No problem

I rode my bike around back from Las Vegas to Colorado before I had my first service done(1100+ miles). The service manager told me that it was not a problem. I agree with Larry. You can do your own oil change and save yourself around 200(ish) dollars which is what it cost me. All they do is an oil change and check all the fluids. I wish I had asked before I got mine done because it would have saved me some dough. I put synthetic oil in it which accounted for the extra cost.

Just be careful because, from what i understand , it can get messy. Bottom-line, I think you will feel a lot better knowing you don't really have to donate to the BMW service monopoly by contributing more then you have to. Its also a lot of fun doing your own maintenance. I'm sure you have given your bike a lot of rub downs so far.

All those little things you are noticing will either smooth out or you won't notice them as much, i'm not sure which is truer. I know I'm at around 2000 miles now and the bike seems to be getting smoother every time you ride it. You'll also get used to how it handles. It really corners smoothly and holds your line like you are on a rail. It instill's a lot of confidence as far as I'm concerned. The thing has unbelievable power. You are going to love it.
Have fun and ride safely.
Jeb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2006, 12:25 pm
Veteran

Just for the record, the first service is more than an oil change and fluid check. The bike is plugged into the diagnostic computer and several checks of systems is performed. They will hand you an "official" printout indicating operating parameters.

BMW Canada has been recommending a "break in" on dino oil of at least 10k km before switching to synthetic. In fact, my mechanic installed a semi-synthetic and upon realizing his error, drained it again and replaced it with dino.

FWIW

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2006, 12:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIZIKS
Just for the record, the first service is more than an oil change and fluid check. The bike is plugged into the diagnostic computer and several checks of systems is performed. They will hand you an "official" printout indicating operating parameters.

BMW Canada has been recommending a "break in" on dino oil of at least 10k km before switching to synthetic. In fact, my mechanic installed a semi-synthetic and upon realizing his error, drained it again and replaced it with dino.

FWIW
The guy at my shop said there was no problem putting in synthetic oil and I did not receive any such "official" printout. I guess it depends on where you go and who you talk to.

Do you know if there is some sort of certification training that BMW service people go through? There sure seem to be a lot of differences of opinion around here sometimes.

I already got my butt chewed on this site for dissing my local BMW service but man....it sure is hard not to.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2006, 12:58 pm

BMW issued a bulletin on the "S" some time last year, stating it was o.k. to switch to synthetic, but not till' 6,000 miles.
Apparently, that's the magic break-in number.

But, for god's sake, let's not start another oil thread!:p
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2006, 1:47 pm
Addict

i bought my "S" in for the 600 mile service at a little over a 1000 miles, going past 600 miles is no big deal and won't harm your bike in the least. also don't believe all the dealer BS about voiding your warrenty because you decided to do a little maintenance yourself. paying 85 bucks for an oil change got old quick when i had my RS so i started changing all the fluids myself, just make sure you save all your receipts. i found out if i switch gears above 4500 rpm the clunky transmission is a little smoother. now that i have 4400 miles on my bike the transmission changes gear a lot smoother and quieter than it did when she was new. when you do take the bike in for the 600 mile service have them check and see if the bike has had the 6.0 update. i had mine done and it cured my high idling problem, cold start problem and just about solved my low speed problem. my bike is still twichy under 20 mph but a lot better than it was before i had the 6.0 update. good luck and ride safe
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2006, 4:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportrider
BMW issued a bulletin on the "S" some time last year, stating it was o.k. to switch to synthetic, but not till' 6,000 miles.
Apparently, that's the magic break-in number.

But, for god's sake, let's not start another oil thread!:p
Yes, lets not... Particularly since the GT apparently leaves the factory full of Castrol GPS which is (gasp) a synthetic based product.

IBA 18417
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2006, 7:40 pm

I just had my 600 mi. service done. Beacause the dealer was "backed-up", I had to wait 3 weeks before I could get in fior the service. I had 1042 mi. on the ODO.
The following pics are provided to show what has been stated before: there is more to the 600 mi. sercvice than an oil change. My opinion is this is the most important service to have done.

This is what they do.

This is what it cost. .5 hrs. @ $29.50// I did my own oil change. It would 've cost another .5 hr. labor for that but I am cheap. Also, my dealer doesn't believe in ripping people off, if your polite to them, and not a jerk.
The other $29.95 charge is for my wifes gloves.

And this is the computer printout from the bike. My question is: I have a version 4. Should this be a version 6 ????
My other document's said: "no open campaigns". ????

Last edited by GTdavey; Jul 25th, 2006 at 9:17 pm.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2006, 9:07 pm

Smile

I had my 600 done today. The service department gave me 6 pages of readouts!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode