07 GT verses 05 S - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2006, 8:44 am Thread Starter

07 GT verses 05 S

I currently own an S and have been rather disappointed with the low speed fueling and popping/backfiring.

Is the GT silky smooth?

Are there any changes to the GT for 07?

...thinking seriously about trading the S in on an 06 or 07 GT.

The S is my first BMW and I really don't want to abandon the BMW ship just yet, but something's gotta change for me to be totally satisfied.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2006, 9:17 am
Veteran

I haven't had any issues with popping nor backfiring on the GT, but then I usually wear earplugs or phones while riding. Now the Harley, that was a real backfire-maker and I was surprised the muffler never blew off when it did!

I do find the low-speed "herky-jerky" characteristic of the GT a bit disturbing especially in stop-and-go traffic, but it isn't enough for me to abandon the bike. It may be my only niggle about the bike so far and I think I'll get control of it somewhere down the line - or just ignore it. However, since I rarely get into stop-and-go traffic as I use the bike mostly out of town and canyon carving in the mountains it won't be an issue.

Transmission is very nice compared to the older RT and may get better over time. The older RT was definitely improved once a spline lube was done to it. It just dropped into gear. Many found the old RT needed a pre-load on the shifter to get a clunk-free shift. Seemed to work for me too and I never thought about it afterwards. I believe you'll adjust to the bike's quirks in time. I believe all bikes have some quirks, and some may be their owner's!

This bike is a blast to ride and I am impressed at the upgrades coming from a 10 year old 100,000 miler R1100RT. Oh, and it's scary fast!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2006, 5:18 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportrider
I currently own an S and have been rather disappointed with the low speed fueling and popping/backfiring.

Is the GT silky smooth?

Are there any changes to the GT for 07?

...thinking seriously about trading the S in on an 06 or 07 GT.

The S is my first BMW and I really don't want to abandon the BMW ship just yet, but something's gotta change for me to be totally satisfied.
Hi John,
Lots of info on this on this site and other site. In a nutshell, I had a K12S and there are still some minor issues on K12GT, but not show stoppers, and better than the S. The new 6.0 software (contact Doug Longerbone/LOGGIEBONE) since Doug has an '05 K12S is upgraded to 6.0 and he is very pleased.

At low RPM '06 GT smoother than '05 K12S, but 6.0 upgrade on K12S supposedly solves that. GT still a little irregular at walking speeds in a lot, but feathering the clutch/adding some RPMs solves that. Besides, how much time in a parking lot?

Xmission still clunky thru 3rd.

At times a little bit of a hiccup when whacking throttle at higher RPM.

'07 GT gonna have a lot of different stuffl New brake/non-servo, maybe traction control, maybe brake pad wear indicators, tire pressure sensing system, maybe, but not likely, xenon lights. IMO, lots of bling but no real substantive changes.

European owners indicate BMW coming out with a Version fix to low-speed engine jitters and at speed hiccup, but all rumor right now. Some changes (rumor) to the plenum in the throttle body, need more work on injection/mapping.
Others may disagree with me but it's not perfect yet. And, it may never be but it's a great touring/sport bike.

Rgds,
John

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2006, 1:14 am
I'm riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamaro
Hi John,
.. but it's a great touring/sport bike.

Rgds,
John

+1

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2006, 6:29 am
Veteran

Me too on the Fi issues, but I'll wait to see how the next software upgrade helps. Frankly I'd be more inclined to wait for an 07 S to see if BMW gets it better sorted. But overall I woundn't trade my S for a GT, at least right now.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2006, 10:30 am

S/gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik
Me too on the Fi issues, but I'll wait to see how the next software upgrade helps. Frankly I'd be more inclined to wait for an 07 S to see if BMW gets it better sorted. But overall I woundn't trade my S for a GT, at least right now.
"If" the 6.0 works properly, most will have no problem with the fueling of either the GT or the S. It's not sewing machine smooth but I'd guess that most that would buy either of the machines don't ride them like little old ladies either. Most realize that they have a "performance" machine and it likes to be ridden a little higher in the rpm band...where the bike runs smoothly. But, there is some refinement that could be provided. The GT is different that the S(relative to fueling issues) because the GT has what could be described as a butterfly that sticks a bit. It is easy to get used to but it does exist. It is also smoother than the S because of the de-tuning. After the 6.0 upgrade on the S, except for the delivery of power, the fueling is very similar.

Trading the S for a GT...it's all in what you want. The GT is a far more versatile bike and has plenty of "sport" in it for most people. It just doesn't look as "sporty". But, GT or S, you can't go wrong with either.

Doug
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2006, 10:44 am

Test Ride

Test Rode the Crystal Grey GT Blue Moon had a couple of weeks ago and I felt like the GT had the exact same jerkiness as my 05 KS. Same characteristics at low spees and parking lot speeds, and the [email protected]#$% tranny was as clunky as my S to shift from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd. The bike seemed to have a lot more low end torque (which we know it does, they have tuned it that way) and I did like that because it does not have that off the top rush off power that you get on the S. Made me a bit more confortable.

So for now, until that jerkyness and shifting issues occur I will keep my 05 KS and keep letting the 06 FJR "speak" to me which it does. Heard a rumor from a lady that works with me, her husband works for a local Yamaha shop that they are going to put heated grips on ALL FJR's for 07 and make a Heated Seat option (~$200).

If Yamaha added heated grips, seat and cruise for 07, I would defenetly go for the FJR.

Ok sorry don't want to make this ANOTHER FJR thread

Just my two cents on my test ride of the GT.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2006, 11:09 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback guys - looks like the S and GT have some of the issues that I'm not pleased with, in common, so I'm going to hold off and wait on BMW.
In the meantime, I'm returning the S back to near stock, as it seems to be happier that way.

...back to stealth mode.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode