3700 miles GT Out of Service - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2006, 12:30 pm Thread Starter

Angry 3700 miles GT Out of Service

On my ride home today I noticed that the shift/gear indicator was acting funny. It was showing the correct gear but would go blank every so often. I got home, got my things together to do my oil change and when I went to move the bike it would not start. The key turned on, all the checks were done, but there was no Green "N" to allow me to start the bike. I thought, OK, how about pulling in the clutch, nope nothing. Checked the kill switch, kick stand, moved the shifter up and down through a couple of gears, nothing worked. Disconnected the battery, had some lunch, reconnected the battery, still nothing.

Called the dealer and it will hopefully make it to the shop tomorrow. Has anyone seen or heard this before? Anyone have an idea I have not tried? Thankfully I was home when this happened and not somewhere in West puppy nuts.

12' R1200GS Rallye
08' K1200GT (traded)
06' Audi A4 3.2Q
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2006, 12:57 pm
I'm riding

Did you try to move the bike forth and back while shifting or just pulled the clutch?

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2006, 1:50 pm Thread Starter

Yah, I tried shifting through the gears. I just can't seem to get the computer to recognize what gear the bike is in.

12' R1200GS Rallye
08' K1200GT (traded)
06' Audi A4 3.2Q
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2006, 4:06 pm

It sounds like it may think it's in gear with the kickstand down. Is the kickstand up when you're trying to start it? try it wirh the kickstand up.

Maybe by rolling it backwords with the clutch held in and release the clutch to stop it. SLOWLY.......SLOWLY.....SLOWLY.....Just a shot in the dark
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2006, 8:42 am
Addict

my "S" has simply not started twice, you turn the key, everything lights up, but when you press the start button nothing. fortunately for me when made sure the side stand was up, pulled clutch in, turned ignition off then on the bike started up both times. there was a previous thread on this board or I-BMW were some guy had the same problem and it ended up being moisture in some sensor. i forget what sensor it was but the dealer discovered it when the guy brought the bike in. however, when i experienced my no start problem it was bone dry and hadn't rained for several days.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2006, 11:46 am
Ivy

Make sure you turn the key on first then pull the clutch in. It has to go thru a computer check first before you can start it. It is in the manual.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2006, 12:46 pm
I'm riding

Any news? Did you visit the dealer?

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2006, 1:44 pm
Veteran

In your case, and I never remember the sequence of events, but how you shut down the bike determines how it will start. For example, and this happened to me on my 12S and the K12GT, most times I kill the engine with the bike in 1st and dropping the sidestand. I think if I leave it in 1st, pull up the sidestand, pull in the clutch, it will then start. But, if I was in neutral before killing the bike, etc. MY POINT IS THAT THIS SOMETIMES NOT STARTING IS NORMAL IF YOU ARE OUT OF SEQUENCE. Hope this makes sense.

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2006, 9:33 am Thread Starter

It should be picked up today. I will post when they figure out what the problem is, the whole bike is a computer so it was bound to have a problem. I also heard something about a computer update.

12' R1200GS Rallye
08' K1200GT (traded)
06' Audi A4 3.2Q
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2006, 10:06 am
Enthusiast

I had a similar problem when I 1st got my bike. I had no neutral light and the gear indicator would jump from 4 to 5 to 6 while riding in 4th gear. I had no problem starting though.
The problem was the gear indicator switch was out of range. To fix it they just hooked the bike up to the shop computer and the switch was able to relearn the correct values.
That was 3600 miles ago, it's been fine ever since.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode