First long tour on board the GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2006, 10:45 pm Thread Starter

First long tour on board the GT

Just got back from the BMW MOA Rally in Vermont (from Virginia), but took a "detour" to Canada, so 2600 miles added to the clock.

At the MOA (wife's Burgman too):

On board the Manitoulin Island-Tobermory Ferry across Lake Huron:

The observations on the GT for touring:
1. Great mileage with 45-48 mpg on highways at 70-75 mph, and therefore excellent range.
2. Excellent capacity for "stuff" in side cases and on rack/pillion.
3. ESA is great going from highway to twisties.
4. Way too fast; I'm going to get in trouble (I won't give the actual numbers, but triple digits and not in kilometers per hour).
5. Ergonomics are great, but the stock seat SUCKS...gotta get this replaced. I talked to several seat vendors at the MOA.
6. Fairing/air flow/protection just right, high temperatures in the south and LOTS of rain in the north, but no complaints. This was one reason why I got the GT instead of a R1200RT.
7. Attention getter, both on the road, at gas stations, and the MOA.

So overall, 2 thumbs up (the wife gets a vote too).
Cheers, Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2006, 10:50 pm

Glad you had a great trip!

I agree with you on all points. Can you elaborate on your discussions with the seat vendors at the rally?

Thanks,
Brian
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2006, 11:00 pm

I just got back from a ride from Yuma Az to Kansas City and back. I agree with all of your points. The Air Hawk seat cushion helped but I am also interested in a new seat.

Steve Wallace
Yuma, AZ

06 K1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2006, 11:10 pm Thread Starter

I'm partial to Sargents with one on my F650 and so we had a long discussion. They haven't done one yet, and wanted some pics of the seat and me on it; I'm sending this off in a few days. I talked to Mayer and got the "yeah, we can do that" which is fine, but not reassuring. I'm going to talk to Don at Mr. Ed's Moto who does very nice custom work based on pictures and experience; he comes highly recommended from several friends, but I'd be seatless for several weeks.
Greg
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2006, 1:46 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregC
I'm partial to Sargents with one on my F650 and so we had a long discussion. They haven't done one yet, and wanted some pics of the seat and me on it; I'm sending this off in a few days. I talked to Mayer and got the "yeah, we can do that" which is fine, but not reassuring. I'm going to talk to Don at Mr. Ed's Moto who does very nice custom work based on pictures and experience; he comes highly recommended from several friends, but I'd be seatless for several weeks.
Greg
I just received my Sargent this morning. I will do a long ride on Saturday and post both HERE and I-BMW.COM.

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2006, 9:50 pm Thread Starter

Interesting, because the fellow I talked to did not indicate they had worked on one yet. Yeah, let us know how it is.
Thanks, Greg
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2006, 10:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamaro
I just received my Sargent this morning. I will do a long ride on Saturday and post both HERE and I-BMW.COM.
i'll be EAGERLY awaiting your feelings about the REDONE seat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode