Just got back from the BMW MOA Rally in Vermont (from Virginia), but took a "detour" to Canada, so 2600 miles added to the clock.
At the MOA (wife's Burgman too):
On board the Manitoulin Island-Tobermory Ferry across Lake Huron:
The observations on the GT for touring:
1. Great mileage with 45-48 mpg on highways at 70-75 mph, and therefore excellent range.
2. Excellent capacity for "stuff" in side cases and on rack/pillion.
3. ESA is great going from highway to twisties.
4. Way too fast; I'm going to get in trouble (I won't give the actual numbers, but triple digits and not in kilometers per hour).
5. Ergonomics are great, but the stock seat SUCKS
...gotta get this replaced. I talked to several seat vendors at the MOA.
6. Fairing/air flow/protection just right, high temperatures in the south and LOTS of rain in the north, but no complaints. This was one reason why I got the GT instead of a R1200RT.
7. Attention getter, both on the road, at gas stations, and the MOA.
So overall, 2 thumbs up (the wife gets a vote too).