Considering the jump.. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2006, 2:39 pm Thread Starter

Considering the jump..

Guys / Gals,

I am considering jumping from my R1200RT '05 to the '06 GT. Thankfully I am not upside down on the RT so I can do this wihtout a lot of pain.

The question is--should I?

Has anyone else made the jump from the new RT to the new GT?

My dealer is talking about how wonderful the Crystal Gray version is. I am not so sure. I think the graphite is the way to go. I am quite sure the graphite is a faster ride.

What comprimises do you think I will make going from the RT to the GT? What will I gain?

-mark=
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2006, 3:15 pm

The Jump

I test drove RT first than the GT. It was very clear who the winner was in my mind. I thought if I get the RT will I regret not having the things I loved on the GT. The answer was yes. I have a 06 Blue GT...sweeeeeeet!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2006, 3:38 pm

Same here

I just sold my LT. And know for a fact that before to long my 05 KS will be traded into either a GT or RT.

I think that as far as riding position, ESA, options (Cruise, H grips and H seats and saddle bags) the bikes are nearly identical. If you think about it even price they are pretty close, by the time you put all the nice options on an RT including the top trunk you are boderlining 20K, so. But off course there is also were it DEAD stops.

GT more power, water cooled engine..... And those two things might be the deciding factor for me.

I used to own a 04 R1150RT, and could never get used to the vibrations (which I hear are better now with counterbalancers), the dang oil comsuption (which is also supposed to be better) and the plain and simple fact that IT IS an aircooled bike and if AIR is either NOT blowing right thru it (bumper to bumper traffic) or the air is HOT as hell as it is here in GA right now the bike will run hot. And again the fairing design is new but on the 04 RT's they GOT HOT to the point where paint right over the cylinder head would look like it was "melting".

So I might end up with a GT, would love to see BMW make a red one, Titan Silver and Black on the GT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2006, 3:45 pm

At the same time

Here I am bring the 3 letter bike back up again.

But the new FJR;s are sure speaking to me, and if the rumor I heard about ALL 07's having heated grips and seats been an option. All they need to thrown in cruise and I am sold
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2006, 4:37 pm

ATLDB Says.........

Today 3:38...I just sold my LT. And know for a fact that before to long my 05 KS will be traded into either a GT or RT.

Today 3:45...Here I am bring the 3 letter bike back up again. But the new FJR;s are sure speaking to me,

ATLDB:
One-
Sorry, but yes you are bringing it up AGAIN, I just don't understand your out of sync posts here and within 7 minutes of each other.
One says "for a fact" and the other seems to say that that fact just isn't true.
TWO-
If you want an FJR, go get one and please move to the FJR Group.

Many of us here have seen the write-ups and reviews on the FJR vs GT....and that's fine and dandy...but most of us here, want to own, or own and enjoy the new GT.....not the FJR.
I've owned a FJR and now own the GT, so I speak with some knowledge.

Anyway....what it boils down to...don't hi-jack the guys thread.......stick to his question.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2006, 4:51 pm

speaking to your question....

I did go from a '05 R1200RT to the 2006 GT and have been pleased with the switch. I also owned the k1200R while I had the R12RT and thought many times that I wished I could just put the K motor in the RT body-work.

For me the RT is a more relaxed ride, they both get the same results (sport-touring) but the GT can do it at Hype-Speed while the RT strains to come close.

They are very close in the ergos, baggage and weather protection. Performance is the KEY to the differences for these bikes.

My .02
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2006, 4:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadshadowww
Today 3:38...I just sold my LT. And know for a fact that before to long my 05 KS will be traded into either a GT or RT.

Today 3:45...Here I am bring the 3 letter bike back up again. But the new FJR;s are sure speaking to me,

ATLDB:
One-
Sorry, but yes you are bringing it up AGAIN, I just don't understand your out of sync posts here and within 7 minutes of each other.
One says "for a fact" and the other seems to say that that fact just isn't true.
TWO-

Many of us here have seen the write-ups and reviews on the FJR vs GT....and that's fine and dandy...but most of us here, want to own, or own and enjoy the new GT.....not the FJR.

Anyway....what it boils down to...don't hi-jack the guys thread.......stick to his question.
roadshadow -
Way to go.
Finally.
someone with some web etiquette !!!

I for one, am growing weary of the onslaught of moron's around here.
Makes me wonder what's in the air in these places. ???

I sold an '04 RT w/ 8,000 mi. on it. Nice bike, no apparent problems.
BUT, the GT is in a class all by itself.
A friggin' formula one engine for pete's sake, and everything gets better from there IMO.
RT VS. GT ???
not even close.
Worlds apart.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2006, 5:01 pm

Ya gotta luv it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadshadowww

Yee ha...couldn't have said it better myself!

Also, I agree with your RT vs GT comments. I had an 1150 RT and have ridden many 1200 RT's. No comparision...the GT is far superior in power and handling. As far as looks...as they say, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". I'm VERY happy with my switch from the RT to the GT. It may be the most versatile bike I have owned.

Doug

Last edited by Razel; Jul 30th, 2006 at 1:28 am. Reason: Fixed tags

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode