BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Wheelie on a K12GT?

13K views 28 replies 24 participants last post by  ratracer 
#1 ·
I was wondering if the K12GT would be prone to pull wheelies on?

Not that I am a wheelie guy, but the K12R rumors to pull wheelies even in 3rd gear, and since the engine is similar on the one hand, other factors do make the bikes different (wheelbase, weight distribution, gear ratios, etc...).

So, can a K12GT pull up the front wheel at acceleration? Or is the beast too heavy up front (as is the K1200RS)?

Rgds

Luc

#2 ·
I have had the wheel up in the first 3 gears, although I will admit that 3rd was pushing it a bit, and it only came up about 3-4".

Brian

#3 ·
Yeah, when the front wheel comes up on hard acceleration, it can be a bit unnerving. ;)

I had to go around a slow RV on our last trip, and I shifted down 2 gears and really romped on it. The front wheel came up and caught me a little off guard.

#4 ·
eljeffe said:
Yeah, when the front wheel comes up on hard acceleration, it can be a bit unnerving. ;)

I had to go around a slow RV on our last trip, and I shifted down 2 gears and really romped on it. The front wheel came up and caught me a little off guard.
Gee's Boss -
Don't be to suprised.
"Wings" will be a factory option in '08, I am told. :bmw:

#5 ·
eljeffe said:

But that's only cuz you are a small, light guy Jeff.

#6 ·
After I passed the 600 mile break in (and service), I thought, "gee, I can now rev this puppy up to 11 grand". Yep, she'll easily lift that front end with no problems in first and second on hard acceleration, it's the coming back down that's not as smooth! :eek:
Cheers, Greg

#7 ·
Say what?

GregC said:
After I passed the 600 mile break in (and service), I thought, "gee, I can now rev this puppy up to 11 grand". Yep, she'll easily lift that front end with no problems in first and second on hard acceleration, it's the coming back down that's not as smooth! :eek:
Cheers, Greg
Why do you think it's necessary to go to 11K to get the front wheel off the ground??? It's really not required, you know ;)

Doug

#8 ·
Doug - I was just running through my thinking. I found that it did require getting above 7K to lift the wheel without resorting to throttle down then rapid up, weight back, etc. As the break in requires <7k and no rapid throttle blipping, it wasn't happening until the full range was available.
Make sense?
Greg

#9 ·
GregC said:
Doug - I was just running through my thinking. I found that it did require getting above 7K to lift the wheel without resorting to throttle down then rapid up, weight back, etc. As the break in requires <7k and no rapid throttle blipping, it wasn't happening until the full range was available.
Make sense?
Greg
Don't make sense to me. Then again, I redlined my GT pulling it out of the dealer parking lot. Perhaps you & I have different ideas about "break in" methods. In fact, I'm sure of it! :)

As for wheelies, it's not a problem. Nor do I feel it's an issue. It's important to know that the wheel can and will come up on ya...but one has to try just a leetle. ;) It's not like it's an R1.

#13 ·
What does it take to pull off a wheely ?

I have no idea how to do a wheely on the gt. Once on a honda i was revving the engine and at 14.000 rmp in third the front wheel nicely took off.

But with the K12 or the K13 this does not do the trick. I tried in second gear to go nicely to 7.000 rmp and then suddenly open the throttle but it seemed that the front wheel would never take off.

The front wheel tends to be a little light when accelerating, with the help of a little bump it will go up a few inches but no more.

I do not intend to make the Guinness Book of Worlds Records, but would feel enlightened to know what the take off procedure is.

Thanks for enlightening me

André

#17 ·
So just how does a 3 year old thread get resurrected anyway? :confused:

#18 ·
2008-K1200GT said:
Looks like it wheelies just fine to me
. Awesome shot! Quick observation - when you set the picture to full size you can see a difference in rotational speed between the front and rear wheels. Per my understanding of ASC engine would be adjusted so that the speed differential equalizes. So was this wheelie done with ASC off, or is there a pre-determined range before it kciks in. Again great shot!

#19 ·
Semper_Fi said:
Do you need to disable the ASC?
Yes you do. I get a bit anxious about pulling up the front wheel of a $28000 bike! I guess I'm getting old (and cheap).

I had my ASC enabled and was showing my son (as a passenger) the redline experience. It tried to wheelie from 1st to 2nd when I shifted but the ASC caught it and put the wheel on the ground right away. I wasn't expecting it and it felt a little weird. The son thought I missed a shift.

#20 ·
Thanks for the confirmation that it works as advertised. I had a "moment" on the Goldwing with wet weather and freshly painted passing lines.

#21 ·
that reminds me.......

GregC said:
Cheers, Greg
that reminds me of my old R1150GS Adventure: it jumps great. Lands awful, however. :rotf:

#23 ·
How do you disable the ASC? I have not tried to stand my GT up yet, but passing a truck (25 mph) I nailed it and the front came up just a little. It was quick. Does the ABS control this like the TCS on cars do? I'm new to the K bikes, so I have not figured every thing out yet. My 96 RT would stand up in a heart beat, and carry it down the road. Just wondering :scratch:

#24 ·
To disable the ASC, press and hold the ASC button on the left handlebar until the ASC light on the dash comes on. To re-enable it, press and hold the button again until the light goes out. It will automatically re-enable if you shut the bike off and then start it again.

The ASC uses the same wheel speed sensors as the ABS. And the ASC controls wheel spin by cutting fuel injector pulses or retarding the spark timing slightly to temporarily reduce the engine's output power. It's very smooth, and works exactly as advertised.

But my question is, why would you want to disable it when passing? Do you really want to be accelerating hard past a big, unpredictable truck with the front wheel in the air? What if you get around him looking like Doug Domokos only to find cross traffic darting out ahead of you, or an unseen intersection, or tight turn, or a dog or deer, or . . . ?

#25 ·
Meese , thanks for the info. I wasn't trying to do a wheelie, it just came up when I nailed it to get around the truck. That was the only time the front of my GT has been off the ground for me. I'm an old Flat Tracker from days gone by and I still enjoy the speed :spank1: By no way was I trying to put myself in danger. I'm not planning on going out and doing wheel stands, I just was wondering how you disable it.
I am finding out more about my bike from you guys than I did at the dealer. It was like "Here you go , good luck". I really appreciate all the info here, again thanks.

Mick

#26 ·
Tick said:
I am finding out more about my bike from you guys than I did at the dealer.
Yep, it was the same for me when I first got the bike. Which is why I try to give back when I can. Websites like this one can be invaluable and definitely enhance the overall ownership experience, despite the occasional whinging that goes on . . . ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.