Wheelie on a K12GT? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2006, 3:34 am Thread Starter

Wheelie on a K12GT?

I was wondering if the K12GT would be prone to pull wheelies on?

Not that I am a wheelie guy, but the K12R rumors to pull wheelies even in 3rd gear, and since the engine is similar on the one hand, other factors do make the bikes different (wheelbase, weight distribution, gear ratios, etc...).

So, can a K12GT pull up the front wheel at acceleration? Or is the beast too heavy up front (as is the K1200RS)?

Rgds

Luc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2006, 3:57 am

I have had the wheel up in the first 3 gears, although I will admit that 3rd was pushing it a bit, and it only came up about 3-4".

Brian
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2006, 8:13 am
Statmaster

Yeah, when the front wheel comes up on hard acceleration, it can be a bit unnerving.

I had to go around a slow RV on our last trip, and I shifted down 2 gears and really romped on it. The front wheel came up and caught me a little off guard.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2006, 4:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
Yeah, when the front wheel comes up on hard acceleration, it can be a bit unnerving.

I had to go around a slow RV on our last trip, and I shifted down 2 gears and really romped on it. The front wheel came up and caught me a little off guard.
Gee's Boss -
Don't be to suprised.
"Wings" will be a factory option in '08, I am told.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2006, 7:56 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe

But that's only cuz you are a small, light guy Jeff.

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2006, 9:38 pm

After I passed the 600 mile break in (and service), I thought, "gee, I can now rev this puppy up to 11 grand". Yep, she'll easily lift that front end with no problems in first and second on hard acceleration, it's the coming back down that's not as smooth!
Cheers, Greg
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2006, 10:26 pm

Say what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregC
After I passed the 600 mile break in (and service), I thought, "gee, I can now rev this puppy up to 11 grand". Yep, she'll easily lift that front end with no problems in first and second on hard acceleration, it's the coming back down that's not as smooth!
Cheers, Greg
Why do you think it's necessary to go to 11K to get the front wheel off the ground??? It's really not required, you know

Doug
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2006, 10:30 pm

Doug - I was just running through my thinking. I found that it did require getting above 7K to lift the wheel without resorting to throttle down then rapid up, weight back, etc. As the break in requires <7k and no rapid throttle blipping, it wasn't happening until the full range was available.
Make sense?
Greg
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 2:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregC
Doug - I was just running through my thinking. I found that it did require getting above 7K to lift the wheel without resorting to throttle down then rapid up, weight back, etc. As the break in requires <7k and no rapid throttle blipping, it wasn't happening until the full range was available.
Make sense?
Greg
Don't make sense to me. Then again, I redlined my GT pulling it out of the dealer parking lot. Perhaps you & I have different ideas about "break in" methods. In fact, I'm sure of it!

As for wheelies, it's not a problem. Nor do I feel it's an issue. It's important to know that the wheel can and will come up on ya...but one has to try just a leetle. It's not like it's an R1.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 6:26 pm

Please do not start another thread on break in theory's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode