6000 Mile Service Charge - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2006, 7:35 am Thread Starter

6000 Mile Service Charge

How much have you paid for the 6.000 mile service? What is done during the 6,000 mile service?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2007, 4:59 pm
Addict

Could anyone respond to the cost of the 6000 mile service? I'm up for one, and interested in what is included. I'm told by one dealer its a "glorified oil change" for $175.00 that includes oil change, filter, drain plug washer and hookup to the diag computer. I'm told another $89 for the rear drive oil change that I can't confirm was done at the 600 mile service....

Thanks in advance...

B.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2007, 8:13 pm
IBR# 366

Mine was $40.26 parts + $64.80 labor for a total of $105.06 (no tax in Oregon).

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2007, 9:06 pm

Wow, did someone say road trip!!! Oregon here we come
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2007, 9:07 pm
Strafist

Mine totalled 47 bones and some change at LoneStar in Austin. I had changed the oil meself.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2007, 11:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumaLT
How much have you paid for the 6.000 mile service? What is done during the 6,000 mile service?
I may be wrong but I believe the manual that comes with the bike indicates the service to be done at various intervals...of course, not prices
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2007, 3:55 pm

I'm all for going to OR to have my next service completed. I paid $252.75 for my "glorified oil change" at Victory BMW here in Chandler, AZ.

Going from memory, some of the items completed were: oil change, checked all other fluid levels, check the bike's computer for errors, check all seals for leaks, and take the bike to go get lunch (test ride). If there were any software updates the service associate said they would have installed those as well (for free I hope).

I won't go into details (unless asked), but I was not impressed with this dealer's service. Glad I bought the bike from BMW of Santa Fe. Those guys are great!

I tried going to another (non-BWM) shop to have this done for me but was told they weren't able to since there was something that had to be reset in the computer.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2007, 4:43 pm

OK.. this post got me curious so I dug up the invoices. I kinda knew the services were around $150 but every time I bought other stuff so I haven't actually gone in and paid only for the service (except for my 600 mi break in service). I needed to get them collected anyway.

My dealer (BMW of Atlanta) charges flat rate 1.66 hrs @ $72/hr = $120 for both a service 1 and 2 (6 and 12k respectively) plus parts, another $40 for oil, filter, and shop supplies. My 12k also got an air filter for $20.

Interesting - the 600 mi service was higher, presumably due to the final drive oil change. 2.16 hrs for $156 labor plus parts and tax made a total of $215.

OK.. so if you compare that to taking your 4 wheeler to the local quick lube for $25 yeah it's pricey. Time & materials (as mine and I'd guess most others are) ain't exactly a bad deal. The service techs at my dealer are all master certified and worth $72 an hour. The value add is them spending 2 hours combing over the bike. On my 6k visit, the front shock (ESA) was diagnosed inop. I got the 12k a month later and they installed a new one under warranty. Now if the dude back there was just doing a drain/fill on the oil that wouldn't have been discovered. So I feel like I got my money's worth. I also supposedly got the latest software flash on the 12k visit. It's smoothed out the driveability quite a bit and there's not any percieved loss of power. You twist the right grip and it still gets going RIGHT NOW

Incidentally I was a professional auto tech in a past life. It hurts my heart to pay for something I have the tools and knowledge to do myself. I don't feel bad about paying these guys because it's one shop I've been a customer of where I actually get the impression the techs know what the hell they're doing. Even the shop owner is master certified, and he's supposed to be the business guy.

Parts wise, the pricing is about right for dealer parts on any motor vehicle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode