garbage in the info display - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2006, 4:13 pm Thread Starter

garbage in the info display

Went to switch the ESA from rider w/luggage to rider only, and after the single helmet
disappeared a few seconds later an uneven pattern of dots appeared. Turned off engine
and re-started hoping the problem would clear itself, but no such luck. Thought about
disconnecting battery but wanted to hear from some of you before doing so.

Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2006, 4:23 pm
Statmaster

Are you noticing your seat getting very warm?

You might have activated the rider or passenger heated seat.

Does the pattern look like "\.", "\..", "./", or "../"?

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2006, 4:38 pm Thread Starter

Hi Jeff,

I'll look this evening , but I remember looking at the heat setting for the rider and I
believe it was in the off position. The pattern looks as if it may be showing part of the luggage . The display also seem to have a streaking line at the very bottom of the dispaly
window. This situation may have started when I held the BC button down for a few seconds. Wasn't paying attention. I'll try and toggle the heat switch on and off and see what happens. Thanks.

Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2006, 5:49 pm
Addict-oholic

I had the same thing happen after I picked up my bike from the 600 mile service. It definitely was the heat switches. Check both the passenger ( off is the middle position) and also the grips...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2006, 6:54 pm
Enthusiast

Had same supposed problem happen to me. Garbage in the display! What is this, I claimed. Looks like the display malfunctioned...Pulled over, check every thing I could think of...Powered bike off and back on. No change. Pulled manual at next rest stop...Heated seat for passenger, duh!!! Just didn't look right...Learned something...

"The more people I meet the more I love my dog !"

07 K1200 GT deep blue metallic
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2006, 6:58 pm
Statmaster

To be honest, I had something similar. Got a "<!>" in the display which scared the shit out of me after the 600 mile service. Had to go dig out the manual, which gives you every possible display message. The problem with the manual is that there are some messages where it doesn't really give you a good reason for it, nor a method to clear it -- other than take it to the dealer.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2006, 7:11 pm
Enthusiast

Had the same display come on in the rain in VT. Was scared and bullshit all at the same time. Pulled out the manual (in the rain) and discovered real quick that I should not talk on the two way radio with the bike off. I guess my red colored <!> meant low battery.
The dam <!> has different colors for different problems. All I know is <!> in any color is not a good thing. Still the best bike I've ever owned but still trying to understand her.

John
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2006, 9:51 pm Thread Starter

Gentlemen,

Good evening and thank you. Came home and found the rear seat control on. Turned on
the ignition after resetting the control, and presto no more garbage. I must have placed the rear seat on the switch when removing it. I'll sleep better tonight. Thanks again.

Phil
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2006, 10:02 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_p
.... Came home and found the rear seat control on. Turned on the ignition after resetting the control, and presto no more garbage. ....
I'm sure your friendly neighborhood BMW dealer would have fixed it for maybe $375.00.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2006, 10:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassGT
The dam <!> has different colors for different problems. All I know is <!> in any color is not a good thing. Still the best bike I've ever owned but still trying to understand her.
I got a <!> yesterday when stopped in backed-up traffic in 90-degree temps. I guess I had been idling along at 3 to 5 mph for about a half hour. When the <!> popped up, it helped me to notice that the temperature gauge was all the way to the top. I pulled over for 20 minutes and shut down the bike. When I started back up, the gauge was back in the one-third-of-the-way-up range where it belongs.

No complaints here about the <!>. Had it not come on, there would have been hot lava all over my motorcycle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode