2007 GT Center Stand? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2006, 5:00 pm Thread Starter

2007 GT Center Stand?

Guys I'm told by my dealer that the 2007 GT will not have a center stand. Is this true? Reading the posts in this forum, looks like the 2006 GT's came w/ center stands. Can anyone add clarity to this? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2006, 7:52 pm
Veteran

Can only tell you that YES, the '06's do come with centerstands.

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2006, 9:16 pm

I can't imagine a touring bike without a center stand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2006, 9:58 pm
The Gov

My only guess is they were trying to explain that the front wheel doesn't come off the ground with the GT and it does require a front paddock stand, like a Pitbull to remove the front wheel or change a tire.

Phil Space
Springfield, VA
2007 K1200GT the road beast
2009 F800GS - My little adventure bike.
2007 F800ST - Her's, but I can ride it.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 2:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by philspace
My only guess is they were trying to explain that the front wheel doesn't come off the ground with the GT and it does require a front paddock stand, like a Pitbull to remove the front wheel or change a tire.
With my LT, I found that the front axle made for the perfect jack stand under the front of the motor when changing the front tire on the road. In my garage I simply used a small scissor jack. I'm wondering if the GT's front axle will work in the same manner. *crossed fingers*
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 12:46 pm
The Gov

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
With my LT, I found that the front axle made for the perfect jack stand under the front of the motor when changing the front tire on the road. In my garage I simply used a small scissor jack. I'm wondering if the GT's front axle will work in the same manner. *crossed fingers*
I'm guessing it would be a little long. Also, to me, the balance point on the GT is totally different. The exhaust manifolds are also running under the engine on either side of the drain plug so you would probably need to be careful with a scissor jack.

Phil Space
Springfield, VA
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 1:49 pm
Enthusiast

Not sure but Pit Bull states that you need both the front and back stand to change the front tire.

http://www.pit-bull.com/catalog/prod...roducts_id=131

06 K1200 GT deep blue metallic
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 1:54 pm
The Gov

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassGT
Not sure but Pit Bull states that you need both the front and back stand to change the front tire.

http://www.pit-bull.com/catalog/prod...roducts_id=131
Yup, I read that too.

I have both, but for a different reason. My gut feeling is that it should work OK with the center stand, but I haven't tried it that way since I was alone and didn't want to take the chance in case I bolo'ed it.

My only surprise with the Pit Bull stand is that you need to remove the pinch bolt first. The stand comes in contact where the pinch bolt is and up behind near the ABS sensor. You do need to be careful when you are placing it to not crimp the cable coming from the sensor.

All accounts of the BMW stand so far is that it sucks, and it to has a warning in the manual, but I think it is involving the pin going through the triangular area and hitting the ABS sensor or ring.

Phil Space
Springfield, VA
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 3:45 pm

I have both of the Pit Bull stands and they work great together. The problem when using the center stand and the front stand from Pit Bull is that the front Pit Bull stand moves the bike foward as it lifts the front wheel. If this happens when using the center stand the bike will come off the center stand and fall to the ground and go boom(ouch). Now if you are real carefull and make sure the front stand wheels move back and don't allow the jack to move the bike foward you maybe okay...but I don't have the balls to try it. The rear stand is great and well worth the money.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 9:22 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilsonnow
I have both of the Pit Bull stands and they work great together. The problem when using the center stand and the front stand from Pit Bull is that the front Pit Bull stand moves the bike foward as it lifts the front wheel. If this happens when using the center stand the bike will come off the center stand and fall to the ground and go boom(ouch). Now if you are real carefull and make sure the front stand wheels move back and don't allow the jack to move the bike foward you maybe okay...but I don't have the balls to try it. The rear stand is great and well worth the money.
Ummm.. I got only the front Pit Bull stand and have wondered about this "Pulling forward and maybe off the centerstand" accident in the making.

However, looking at the rear stand, the lever drops forward as well which means it must push the bike forward as well. Same scenario with the bike rolling forward off the center stand? I noticed in all their rear-stand photos on the Pit Bull site, the lifting lever goes down towards the rear of the bike. The BMW is the only one that seems to lever forward which means it must push forward on the bike the same as the front stand?

I thought of trying to secure the front wheel to the center stand with a nylon cinch strap and ignoring their rear wheel stand altogether. But it looks like the lower shroud and radiator will not let that happen (no direct line from the bike's center stand crosspiece to the front wheel's mid-section). Maybe some steel monkey-rig to secure the center stand from folding against the shock mount or rear wheel somehow? Tie the rear wheel down to something to keep it from rolling forward? If either could be done, then there would be no need for the rear stand at all since it is front-end heavy as is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode