West Coast Ride Report - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2006, 10:57 pm Thread Starter
Let's Ride

West Coast Ride Report

This report may be a little too honest. But, I'm so pumped about this bike. Omaha, NE to Reno, NV in less than 36 hours to qualify for my first Iron Butt. Meet up with my brother (rides a GS) than was on to the best curvy roads that Central and Northern California had to offer. Plus a little Western Nevada and Southern Oregon. 5,500 miles in seven days.

First the Bike Alterations:

"Motor Man" break-in.
Autocom, with XM, Phone, with "Big Ear" Ear Plugs.
GPS, older Garmin.
Valentine One
Air Hawk with Sheep Skin cover.
Cotinental "Sport Attack" Tires with "Innovative" ceramic beads and Nitrogen in the tires.
Large Top Case and Side Cases "over loaded" (over 130 extra pounds).
"Pirate" tank bag.
Started the trip with just over 4,000 miles.

The Ride:

Normal Interstate driving 85-90 MPH. I-80 and I-70.
Than the FUN began on Hwy 50 "The loneliest Highway in America". Cruised at "GT speeds" with a couple of 100 mile sections with the numbers 015 (different order) on the speedo.
In the Mountains a lot of tight curves and some medium sweepers. At 1.5 to 2.0 times suggest corner speed.
Most roads good to fair conditions. But because I was riding with a GS, about 300 miles on broken up black top and some dirt roads.
Temperature from 48 to 108 degrees.

The Report:

Absolutely the best ride I have ever experienced. This bike was built for this kind of trip. Long distances, long hours on a bike, lot's of luggage capacity, lot's of rider comforts, solid in the corners, power to handle the mountains and speed. I sold my 2002 RT to buy this GT, and the bike "feels" lighter, faster, and stays cooler. I can ride longer (even with the stock seat). The Cotinental tires were smooth at high speeds and sticky in the corners. I had the tires installed without balancing them, instead I put in the ceramic beads...smooth as silk. No oil was added. Gas mileage ranged from 35 to 49 MPG. The higher the altitude the better the milage. With nearly 10,000 miles I only get more and more excited about this bike.

In the words of eljeffe "What a Bike".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2006, 11:08 pm

Thanks for the nice ride report...I'm jealous as I've only done 50, etc in a cage (that could also do 015!). So, the airhawk and sheepskin butt pad allowed to do this? Interesting since I was in so much pain after 2600 miles on just the stock seat.
Cheers, Greg
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2006, 11:36 pm Thread Starter
Let's Ride

Greg, The stock seat was my biggest concern before starting out on this trip. I wanted an aftermarket seat, but didn't the have time. But, yes the airhawk and sheepskin saved my "butt". The trick for me was to put the seat in the High postion, so I didn't slide into the tank. Also put in just enough air into the airhawk so that you don't bottom out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2006, 9:19 am

great ride report
can you please tell us more about these CERAMIC BEADS?

thanks in advance

i guess these things:

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/

has anyone else used them?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2006, 9:31 am

I looked up those beads on the web as well. I had a hard time understanding how they would work exactly.

Brian
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2006, 7:48 pm Thread Starter
Let's Ride

My brother (the GS rider) turn me on to the Dyna Beads WWW.innovativebalancing.com
I put 1oz in the front and 2oz in the rear. I took a chance by not balancing the tires and only using these beads before such a long trip, but everything went great. The web site can do a better job of explaining how these beads work, but I understand that the centrifugal force presses the beads to the low spot of the tire. They are suppose to help keep the tire cooler and provided longer life, without cupping or uneven spots. What I can tell you is that the bike ran incredibly smooth, especially at high speeds. At just over 5,500 miles, the tire shows no unusual wear. It looks like I have about 500 miles left on these tires. Which is about 1,500 more miles than I got out of my Z6's.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2006, 5:47 am

it sure seems like a fascinating product
thanks for the FYI
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2006, 12:27 pm

Tire beads

Did you insert the beads through the value stem on the front wheel? They seem to discourage right angle installation.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2006, 5:55 pm Thread Starter
Let's Ride

Yes, I ended up putting the beads through the valve stem. Since I was mounting new tires, I should have bought empty bags that "break apart". You can buy these bags when you buy the beads, then measure out the weight of beads you want....pour into the bag....place the bag in the tire prior to putting the tire back on the rim. The trick to the valve stem system is to go slow and "tap" the valve stem with a wrench if they clog. With the new GT front tire "bent stem" it is a lot easier to put in the beads before you mount the tire to bike.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2006, 12:02 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-1
With the new GT front tire "bent stem" it is a lot easier to put in the beads before you mount the tire to bike.
What is this about a "bent stem"?
The stem for my front tire is in one of the spokes, about1 1/2 inches from the rim!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode