Any reports on peg lowering kits yet? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2006, 1:41 pm Thread Starter

Any reports on peg lowering kits yet?

I noticed a while back that some here were considering the purchase of a peg lowering kit for their GT. It looks like Verholen is the only game in town right now.

If you did install them, what are your thoughts? How did it affect shift and brake pedal usage/placement? Do you use the stock pegs? How was you comfort bettered or made worse?

Thanks,
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2006, 2:16 pm

Brian,

A report was posted after the lowering kit was installed, and I remember it being
unfavorable. The position of your shifting foot was awkward and maybe some other
issues. Anyway, the kit was up for sale the next day. I believe the original post
was by Loggibone(?).

Phil
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2006, 2:41 pm
The Gov

Not from me. Whoever did that probably didn't realize that the shifter is adjustable.

I have them up and posted pictures in a thread a while ago. For my soon to be arthritic knees, they rock. The only reason I stopped on Saturday on an 400 mile ride was when I was tired of the warning icon and fuel symbol flashing at me.

The installation was simple and the shifter adjustment is quite easy. It does leave the brake lever a little high, it's workable and hasn't been a problem now that I'm used to it, but that was my only minor complaint.

Phil Space
Springfield, VA
2007 K1200GT the road beast
2009 F800GS - My little adventure bike.
2007 F800ST - Her's, but I can ride it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2006, 3:11 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by philspace
Not from me. Whoever did that probably didn't realize that the shifter is adjustable.

I have them up and posted pictures in a thread a while ago. For my soon to be arthritic knees, they rock. The only reason I stopped on Saturday on an 400 mile ride was when I was tired of the warning icon and fuel symbol flashing at me.

The installation was simple and the shifter adjustment is quite easy. It does leave the brake lever a little high, it's workable and hasn't been a problem now that I'm used to it, but that was my only minor complaint.
Not that I am anywhere close to being a knee-dragger, but there are warnings all over the order page for the Verholen's saying that using the kit greatly increases the chance to scrape them in a turn. Have you seen that as a real issue? I have 2" wide chicken stripes :o

Thanks,
Brian
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2006, 3:15 pm
Veteran

I have a couple of reviews of them in my current cheesy newsletter... it may or may not help you...

http://piratesk12site.net/newsletter.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnblazer
I noticed a while back that some here were considering the purchase of a peg lowering kit for their GT. It looks like Verholen is the only game in town right now.

If you did install them, what are your thoughts? How did it affect shift and brake pedal usage/placement? Do you use the stock pegs? How was you comfort bettered or made worse?

Thanks,
Brian

Jerry D. Finley ("Danger" is my middle name)
"I speed, therefore I am. "

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2006, 4:37 pm

Quote:

Thanks,
Brian
After my first extended test ride on a GT I found I could not manage the stock peg position. I purchased the Verholen lowering kit on spec (following Philspace's positive comments) and got my dealer to install them on their demo GT for me to do a second test run. The difference was so marked that I purchased a GT on the strength of a 3 hour test ride with them on. The gear lever was easily adjustable, although I would prefer to have the Pirates Lair extension lever to make the shifting slightly easier. It wasn't a problem once I got used to the slightly offset position, but it would just bring the lever and the peg in line more. The kit uses the standard pegs, transferred to the lowered links. I did not have any problem with scraping the pegs during cornering, even though I was pushing the bike more than I would have done had I been on the LT, but then I've never scraped that either.

The brake lever is a bit more of a problem, as there is no simple adjustment mechanism like there is on the gear shift, and the dealer did not want to mess around too much with their demo bike. However, they are going to look into adjusting the brake lever once my own bike arrives at the end of the month. Again, it was not a problem once I got used to the slightly high position and, because the Verholen kits are adjustable, it may be possible to change the angle of the pegs slightly as well. Hill starts were still perfectly possible using the foot brake, so the adjustment needed is relatively small to be more comfortable.

The bottom line is that for me they made the difference between not buying the bike and being able to enjoy the charms of the GT.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2006, 6:04 pm
Rookie

Peg Lowering

I tried the lowering kit.
I did not like them.
I ride with a slight forward lean from the waist, weight on hands, seat and pegs.
(See Touring forum, "Master Yoda riding position."
The extra dsitance to the pegs took the tension out of my legs and left the majority of my 230 lbs. suarely on the torture rack BMW calls a seat.
The non-adjustable brake lever could have been fixed with some drilling and tapping, but I did not see this as worth the effort.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2006, 6:25 pm
Rookie

Quote:

Thanks,
Brian
I installed the Suburban lowering kit, based on the positive experience I had with their product on my LT. The installation was astonishingly simple, and the adjustment of the shift lever took very little additional time. With my Rocky Mayer seat in the high position, and the periodic use of an Airhawk, I find that my leg position is more comfortable with the lowered pegs. In fact, my (YMMV) impression is that my leg position is very close to the configuration on my FJR, which is a good thing. With the addition of the Heli-Bar adaptor, I now feel like I have as close to a perfect total riding position as possible for touring. If only I could add highway pegs...... sigh.

I have not yet (400+ miles with everything installed) scraped a peg, but I do not ride any where near as aggressively as many others on this board, so take that observation with caution.

BTW; I LOVE this motorcycle.

The Touring Professor

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Honda Gold Wing
2004 Honda Rune
1999 HD Dyna-Glide

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode