saw 132 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2006, 6:47 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up saw 132

Took the GT to 132 today. Only the 2nd time into 3 digits on this bike. I am not sure what it is with this bike, but it gets more and more stable the harder you push it. I really felt like there was nothing short of a ramp that was going to upset the bike. On the way back down to sane speeds (I think I was at ~95 mph), I did pass two cement trucks coming at me in the other lane that gave me a little wind head shake, but nothing to wad my undies up about.

This bike is way more fun and confidence inspiring than my 916 was. Plus it doesn't want to fall over below 30 mph.

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2006, 11:18 pm

what configuration ?

I see on your avitar that you have the rear case in addition to the side bags. Were you riding this speed with the rear case on the bike? If you were, that's great to hear that the bags don't introduce a high speed wobble (as commonly reported on the Honda ST1300 with all three bags installed.)

Have you ridden with all of the bags removed? Is there any noticable difference?

Cheers.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2006, 11:32 pm

I took mine to 149 (GPS) with all 3 bags installed. Not an issue at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2006, 11:56 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickr
I see on your avitar that you have the rear case in addition to the side bags. Were you riding this speed with the rear case on the bike? If you were, that's great to hear that the bags don't introduce a high speed wobble (as commonly reported on the Honda ST1300 with all three bags installed.)

Have you ridden with all of the bags removed? Is there any noticable difference?

Cheers.
I did the ride without the top case, but the side bags were attached. I did not notice any wobble. I should note that I also had a +4+2 Cee Bailey on as well.

Brian
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2006, 9:03 am

good info to know

THanks, I am becomming a BMW convert from my search for my next (and Last) bike i buy. Having had five bikes over the years I am getting tired of paying the tax man each time and then wishing I had bought something else.

Even though there are more $'s going K1200GT than ST - (not bashing Honda)

GT - not even a hint of high speed wobble from anyone - Honda - none to very evident
GT - cruise, heated stuff, Honda - extras (not even dealer installed) - success would depend on the quality of the workmanship.
GT - six speed - Honda - still 5 (80+ is too many rpm's in my book for cruising).
GT - electronic or manyal rear shock and dampening adjustment - reported to be excellent. Honda - riders bitch all the time there is not enough travel or dampening and replace the rear shocks (especially loaded down).
GT - permenantly sealed rear end (what does permenantly really mean?) but Honda = shaft splines have to be lubed on each oil change (as reported by members who don't want failures on a trip).

Farkles - it seems Honda has this beat - longer lived design - older technology. BMW - Canbus - don't know a thing about it. MoDiTec ? would be nice if average Joe could buy the interface and the software (at a reasonable cost) and do their own diagnostics.

As I said, the more I read about both the ST1300 and the '06/'07 K1200GT my indecision is being changed to "Yes - BMW" for my next ride.

Cheers.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2006, 10:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickr
As I said, the more I read about both the ST1300 and the '06/'07 K1200GT my indecision is being changed to "Yes - BMW" for my next ride.
And what BMW owner could argue with that post?

Did another 400-mile ride yesterday. (Was only supposed to be about 120, but . . . well . . . you know. That GT just wouldn't go HOME! ) Other than the seat, I have nothing to complain about. (Not that 400 miles was too bad. But 800 miles/day on that seat is another story.) High-speed wobble = ZERO. I can type that with all of the confidence in the world. From 1mph to 151mph, it's the most stable bike I've owned. Well, I guess my ZX-11 was just as stable.

FWIW, I've owned 7 Hondas, so I'm not a Honda basher by any means. But once you buy a BMW, it's tough not to keep owning them. So long as you don't have a crappy dealer, or buy a lemon. And...unfortunately, those things happen.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2006, 4:53 pm

Smile

Hi,

Seen just under 155mph on the clock this morning from the GT. I am 220 lbs with kit and I use ESA setting single + luggage. As this is my first BMW I am still struggling with the real twisty roads as I still cannot get any feeling from the front end. My problem now is I am now expected the front never to wash-out. I am just getting too confident with the bike as I scraped the right hand peg, and when I look at the front trye there is no chicken strip at all. Anyway I am off to france tomorrow for two weeks with my good-lady wife and will be using the bike as it was designed, long distance touring. But I have to say the fun I had with the GT this morning was fantastic. I am still missed my ZX10R but not as much after my first 200 miles of my own. Really smiling folks and thank you for all the good advice posted on this forum. Good luck, what a bike. Ian

Last edited by iangill; Aug 13th, 2006 at 6:14 pm.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2006, 1:31 am
I'm riding

Ian,

Will you do the Alps?

Have a nice trip!

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2006, 7:34 am

High speed wobble

I am experiencing a wobble around 85-100MPH. I have new Metzler Z6 tires properly inflated. Any idea's on cause. Under hard acceleration it is gone, only apparent when cruising.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2006, 8:01 am
Enthusiast

I had the same wobble yesterday behind semi trailers. Not sure if the box on the back is making the bike react that way or if the suck ass stock windshield is doing it. I put the bike in 2up / normal mode and it seem to make the bike stiffer so that some of the wobble was reduced.

06 K1200 GT deep blue metallic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode