2007 GT Automatic Stability Control - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2006, 10:26 pm Thread Starter
Noob

2007 GT Automatic Stability Control

BMW has announced that they are going to come out with Automatic Stability Control (ASC) on the 2007 K1200GT sometime after the first of the year. I currently have one on order that is scheduled to finish production this week and be here in 4-5 weeks (hopefully). Iím having a hard time deciding if the new traction control might be worth waiting 5-6 months for delivery.

The only specís Iíve seen say the traction control system will allow for an "acceptable level" of rear tire spinning and can be activated / deactivated while riding. Rear wheel spinning is controlled through retarding the spark or suppressing individual injects if a higher level of control is needed. No idea what the pricing will be for this addition.

Iím not normally a person that would be spinning the rear tire under most normal circumstances, but rain slick or rough roads could be a different circumstance.

What are everyoneís thoughts on this new option?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2006, 11:11 pm

atc - on two wheels

A lot of cars have ATC and my Audi's experience using it has mostly been in the snow. Audi controls the wheel spin by applying the brake on the faster spinning wheel and cutting back on the throttle at the same time. Gunning the engine in the snow, the ATC stops the engine from accelerating.

I for one would like to read about their testing experience and how long it has been in development. Inexperienced riders violently accelerating in wet (or sandy) road conditions might benefit from this but it also might lead to riders over-riding their skill level hoping the bikes "electronics" will keep them out of trouble.

For BMW options I would rather spend my money on ABS and the new electronic adjustable rear suspension.

Cheers.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2006, 1:07 pm
Addict

I would not wait.......

Not that I know anything about this, but I would not wait.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2006, 10:23 pm

I wouldn't want it. But that's coming from someone who likes lighting up the rear tire once-in-awhile. No, I don't mean hole shots or burnouts. But the occasional rear tire breaking loose while coming out of a turn still makes my heart go pitter-pat.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2006, 6:27 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I wouldn't want it. But that's coming from someone who likes lighting up the rear tire once-in-awhile. No, I don't mean hole shots or burnouts. But the occasional rear tire breaking loose while coming out of a turn still makes my heart go pitter-pat.
Your comment is actually one of the things I liked about the ATC; the system can be turned off when desired (at least according the the BMW bulletin). Then when you wind up in the rain, sand, bud or whatever, the system would be available. Having said that, all of the above comments agree with my initial thoughts; It's not worth waiting for!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode